275 ETC LED House & Concert Lights

RonHebbard

Premium Member
Departed Member
Possibly of interest; FREE and with free parking
If you're in the Kitchener Waterloo area, Centre In The Square (CITS) has just installed 275 ETC LED house and concert lights and is hosting a show and tell Wednesday evening October 4th /17 at 7:00 p.m. gratis for anyone interested. [ @Dionysus ]
Here's the info as provided by IATSE 357:
Brothers & Sisters:
October 4 at 7 PM Centre In The Square.
Brother Terry Hynes, Head Electrician at the Centre in the Square, has asked me to pass this along and invite you to a Show and Tell for the new LED House-light system. 275 House-light and Concert Ceiling fixtures have been replaced with GDS Arc System fixtures from ETC. This is one of the largest installations of this kind. All are welcome. There is no charge. Parking will be available in the staff lot. Enter at the Stage Door on Ellen St. opposite Mansion St.
Warmest regards,
Fraternally
IATSE Local 357
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
EDIT: Update; An alternate source, the supplier, reports approximately 285 - 290 original fixtures were removed and replaced by 275 new ETC units.
EDIT: @STEVETERRY @Dennis Varian Perhaps one, the other, or both of you would expand with further details of this installation?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
Hi Ron. Here's the breakdown:
119 250W pot lights replaced with GDS Arc 1 cells
40 500W high ceiling replaced with 4 cells [? My interrogation mark]
44 575W Source 4 PARs replaced with 8 cells(Canopy - orchestra top light)
18 575W Source 4 PARs (#1 Concert Ceiling) replaced with 8 cells
54 1000W PAR64s(remaining Concert Ceilings) replaced with 4 cells.
Total: 275
Coverage is more even than before.
Each cell is 20 watts.
All 4 cell and 8 cell fixtures are 24 degree.
1 cells are 30 and 50 degree depending on proximity.
EDIT: I now understand the 40 original 500W high ceiling frixtures were EACH replaced with 4 cells NOT four cells replaced all forty. [Brain phart on the part of this old blind geezer]
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Hi Ron. Here's the breakdown:
119 250W pot lights replaced with GDS Arc 1 cells
40 500W high ceiling replaced with 4 cells [? My interrogation mark]
44 575W Source 4 PARs replaced with 8 cells(Canopy - orchestra top light)
18 575W Source 4 PARs (#1 Concert Ceiling) replaced with 8 cells
Coverage is more even than before.
Each cell is 20 watts.
All 4 cell and 8 cell fixtures are 24 degree.
1 cells are 30 and 50 degree depending on proximity.
EDIT: I now understand the 40 original 500W high ceiling frixtures were EACH replaced with 4 cells NOT four cells replaced all forty. [Brain phart on the part of this old blind geezer]
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I will ask Chris Patton, our architectural fixture product manager, to post some more details here.

ST

Thanks Steve - my first CB post too!
It looks like Ron has included a fairly comprehensive breakdown of what is installed on this project but I am happy to answer any technical questions about the product line itself should anybody have any.
Sadly I cannot make it up to the open house next week although I look forward to hearing any feedback from those that attend!
Chris

I'd love to see some pictures, not going to be able to make it to Canada next week...

My church was the wonderful recipient of an architect's grand idea for house lights without a safe way for maintenance to re-lamp. Needless to say I'm always on the lookout for a replacement system.

I'd love to see some pictures, not going to be able to make it to Canada next week...

My church was the wonderful recipient of an architect's grand idea for house lights without a safe way for maintenance to re-lamp. Needless to say I'm always on the lookout for a replacement system.

We discovered in our new/renovated facility (scheduled to open in 2014) that the 20 some odd fluorescent work lights over the seating area of our new theater are in soffits that are JUST out of reach of any catwalk. A scaffold will be required, or Genie with seat bracket thing to change out dead lamps. How stupid.

We discovered in our new/renovated facility (scheduled to open in 2014) that the 20 some odd fluorescent work lights over the seating area of our new theater are in soffits that are JUST out of reach of any catwalk. A scaffold will be required, or Genie with seat bracket thing to change out dead lamps. How stupid?
@SteveB And just when you've perfected your tube trading techniques, you'll have to get into ballast swapping and then will come socket replacements and, finally, the next new thing.
When we built the new Four Seasons Center in Toronto a few years ago, the new home of the National Ballet of Canada and the Canadian Opera Company, the facility was built with four balconies and 14 booths. The auditorium was a sea of scaffold full height all the way to the roof. After the scaffold was removed, it was a really big deal when they brought in an articulated lift on "hay wagon" wheels that would fit through a standard double door, could be manoeuvered by two people [one steering and one grunting], had a basket on the end of its articulated boom capable of placing a passenger anywhere and in reach of anything from either of only two positions on the center-line of the main floor. We were all told in advance the general contractor was bringing it in, when and and how long it would be in the building and all the various subs booked time on it basically 24 / 7 while it was on site. Purportedly the lift was the ONLY one of its type, size, reach and ratings and was in steady demand for projects world-wide.
Back to your original point. So much for getting things installed and making final adjustments and touch-ups but how were the poor tenants ever again to gain access? I'm sure many architects have a perverse sense of humor.
At the other end of the access scale: In Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, the then 2183 seat, twin balconied, Hamilton Place Great Hall was built and all overhead lighting was accessed by walking directly across the poured concrete floor slab of the attic where you unplugged a fixture, clipped on an approximately 80' hand-line and lowered the fixture to an associate waiting on one of the balconies, or the main floor, to clean and re-lamp the fixture. When the ground-person was complete, he'd flash test the fixture prior to taping its plug to your hand-line so it would fit up through the access hole and be securely re-captured by its labelled mounting and powering plate poured into the concrete floor slab of the attic. We also had an approximately 10" diameter hole on the center-line which proved useful for things like balloon and leaf / leaflet drops over the years and the hole had a pair of mic inputs to suspend a stereo AKG or Neumann mic from time to time.
My point: Some architects CAN get it right. [Some of the time.]
Edit: Corrected spelling of Neumann.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back