2x2 flat framing

AshleyB

I was always taught to use 1x3 or 1x4 for framing up flats, but I'm finding a lot of 2x2 hardcover flats in storage at my school. Thoughts on pros and cons of using 2x2 for framing flats? Am I wrong to think these are an abomination? :confused: Old dog willing to learn new tricks, but I need evidence.

I would guess it was done because 2x2 furring strips are incredible cheap at the big box stores. And yes, they may work more-or-less.

Here are my arguments against:
  • They are very low grade with a high tendency to warp and twist.
  • You're only getting 1.5" of thickness, so the flats will be less rigid than with 1x3 or 1x4 on edge.
  • You'd need to use 3" fasteners. No pneumatic staples.

I would use them if they are not warped. if i needed to cut or re-size them i would not hesitate to do so, building new stock flats to replace them.

I'd hack them up and go with something more standard. Its can get to be a headache cobbling walls together from a hodge podge of flats...

I wouldn't say that is standard particularly. As was said previously, they were probably cheep and cheerful at the time. If the flats are warped, lose them in your set purge. If they are still straight, use them, but they are first in line to be carved up for custom builds.

This is something I've seen done quite often in storefront and community theaters. As mentioned, 2x2 furring strip is extra cheap, so it's perfect for smaller budgets and technical staffs who aren't tied to the "proper" methods. Also using 3" screws is no issue for these types of theatres, since they're going to take the set apart and reuse the wood for the next eight shows. In fact I built a few shows for a TD who loved 2x2 because you could "screw thru any side". I'm quite happy to not be working there anymore but that's another rant. Anyway, theatres who make flats out of 2x2 aren't chucking the whole show in a dumpster come strike night.

Last edited:
I had a space where I built 2x2 frames. The company had no resources: no glue, stapler, saws etc., so it was a matter of convenience and simplicity. I had the lumber yard rip 2x4 spruce into 2x2. The flats worked fine and as mentioned above, joining them was simpler in most situation. It was the only place and time I did that. Yes it was a storefront theater.

Since the school that I'm working with has a business account/PO set up through the local box store, I've begun shifting from 1x4 to 2x3 for my flats with 1/4" ply to skin them. The price of 1x4 is ridiculous lately and I can get 2x3's for less than $2.00 per 8' stick. So far the've been turning out great and at just over $20.00/flat in materials, I can't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back