3:1 rule

mstaylor

Departed Member
I have seen this mentioned before but I have never fully understood what it is and how to apply it. Say I am micing a choir, three rows deep. We place mics accross the front, how does this apply to placement?

3 to 1 Rule - WikiRecording
Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : Two Common Problems
3:1 rule
Mic Primer - Multiple Microphone Use | Heil Sound
Sennheiser USA - Houses of Worship, audio sound systems, voice, microphone, properties

The issue is that when using multiple microphones any sound can potentially be picked up my multiple microphones with each at a slightly different distance from the source. If you combine those mics in the mixer that difference in distance from source to mic translates to a difference in relative phase between microphones, which in turn affects the frequency response of the resulting summed signal. The idea of the 3:1 rule is to try to create a combination of relative phase and relative level difference such that this effect is minimized.

This is actually more a guideline than a rule and you always need to verify what works in any given situation, but is is a basic concept that's good to try to follow for choir or area miking.

Thanks guys. I have heard an explanation at some point but wasn't sure what the ratio was for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back