3-phase distro and 2-phase service

210.71, covering meeting rooms, went in to the 2017 NEC, but was moved in the 2020 edition to 210.65.

However, 210.65 does not apply to Jay's example:

"Section 520 sidebar: I've got a new house with a main auditorium of 350 retractable seats, and it has zero utility receptacles around the walls. Is this the "over 1000 sq ft" exemption, or something else, would you think?"

because of this informational note:

Informational Note No. 2: Examples of rooms that are not meeting rooms include auditoriums, schoolrooms, and coffee shops.

ST
What does this room become when the seats are retracted?

Monkey wrench, but 2-phase does exist, it's strange, and some power companies still serve it (especially, I hear, in Philly). We have an organ blower from 1928 running on it from a static phase converter.

In the 2023 NEC, there is no section 210.71.

ST
New in 2017. Was it dropped again?

Zillions of Ghits for that section number, even before I added "NEC".

210.71, covering meeting rooms, went in to the 2017 NEC, but was moved in the 2020 edition to 210.65.

However, 210.65 does not apply to Jay's example:

"Section 520 sidebar: I've got a new house with a main auditorium of 350 retractable seats, and it has zero utility receptacles around the walls. Is this the "over 1000 sq ft" exemption, or something else, would you think?"

because of this informational note:

Informational Note No. 2: Examples of rooms that are not meeting rooms include auditoriums, schoolrooms, and coffee shops.

ST
That note appears to *support* my question, not the opposite.

.71 (now .65) requires a number of receptacles "in meeting rooms".

Except, note 2, in Auditoriums (over 1000 ft).

My question, restated, was: "does my new auditorium meet code with no receptacles around the sides, WRT 210.71/65 *because it's over 1000 sqft*?"

That note appears to *support* my question, not the opposite.

.71 (now .65) requires a number of receptacles "in meeting rooms".

Except, note 2, in Auditoriums (over 1000 ft).

My question, restated, was: "does my new auditorium meet code with no receptacles around the sides, WRT 210.71/65 *because it's over 1000 sqft*?"
IN 2 makes it clear that auditoriums are not meeting rooms. There is no mention of "over 1000 sq ft" for auditoriums. Since they are not meeting rooms, none of 210.65 applies to auditoriums. Therefore, IMHO, you are compliant.

ST

IN 2 makes it clear that auditoriums are not meeting rooms. There is no mention of "over 1000 sq ft" for auditoriums. Since they are not meeting rooms, none of 210.65 applies to auditoriums. Therefore, IMHO, you are compliant.

ST
Quoting the article:

"In the 2017 NEC, a new article 210.71 titled “Meeting Rooms” was introduced. This article requires a minimum number of receptacles for meeting rooms less than 1,000-square-feet."

Was .71 also *rewritten* in becoming .65, to not mention the size?

Was .71 also *rewritten* in becoming .65, to not mention the size?

No.

When you think meeting rooms, think corporate office meeting rooms, boardrooms, convention center breakout rooms, divisible ballrooms, etc. Just because a bunch of people assemble together does not make something a meeting room -- for example, a fitness studio could have yoga classes "meeting", but that does not make it a meeting room simply by virtue of people assembling together.

I imagine the intent of this section of code is reduce the number of might-as-well-be-permanent extension cords in places where people are sitting down at tables and bringing along electronic devices like laptops and need to start running extension cords to the walls and across egress pathways to bring power to the table(s). If that's how you think about it, it becomes easier to understand where this would most commonly be applicable.

Yeah, no, I got that part, Mike.

I guess, not having a 2023 NFPA70 handy, that I must infer that something, either elsewhere in .65, or maybe elsewhere in 210, defines a Meeting Room as something which excludes my auditorium in *some other way* besides "it's greater than 1000 sq ft".

I'm aspie; I was hung up on the definition of the term.

Interestingly enough, I was unable to find that term defined anywhere. Probably wouldn't have needed to add the Informational Note if it was.

I know you can pay some ridiculous sum for access to 70, even the paperback is up into 3 figures now, right? Is there some place for looking up onesie questions like this, still?

You can sign up for an account on NFPA's website and use the free viewer for just about any standard as well their previous versions, drafts of new versions, other related info like proposed changes, and technical committee minutes.

I know you can pay some ridiculous sum for access to 70, even the paperback is up into 3 figures now, right? Is there some place for looking up onesie questions like this, still?
For $99/yr, you can get access to all NFPA Standards, along with the explanatory comments that are found in the Handbook for each standard, in NFPALink. It's even more of a deal if you join NFPA, 10% discount on NFPALink.
It's really worth it!

And here's what NFPALink "enhanced content" says on 210.65:

"These requirements apply to meeting rooms in a variety of occupancies, including office buildings and hotels. For most rooms in commercial buildings, there are no NEC requirements for spacing of wall and countertop receptacles. However, 210.65 recognizes that there is a need to provide receptacles to facilitate meetings in which attendees will be using computers. Means of compliance include floor receptacle outlets and floor outlets supplying hard-wired furniture that contains receptacles. The 6-foot distance from fixed walls is to allow for emergency egress without occupants having to cross over flexible cords."

ST

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back