Control/Dimming 3 Pin DMX Gender Changer

lbcfrank

We are joining 2 dimmer packs together (50 feet apart) and have run the DMX cable trough the attic. Unfortunately, the cable was installed with the male and females connectors on the wrong end. I need a male on the output and a female on the input, exactly opposite of what was installed.

Trying to avoid going into the attic to remove and turn the cable around, I was wondering if there exists any DMX gender changers similar to what we see in the XLR audio world? my online search turns up nothing.

Frank Chyz
Media Director
Liberty Baptist Church

They're out there, but I don't know where to buy one commercially. Any decent rental shop should be able to get you a pair, or you could build one yourself. Alternatively, you could just chop off the ends and resolder them correctly.

... I was wondering if there exists any DMX gender changers similar to what we see in the XLR audio world? ...
Any "DMX-specific" turnaround s would be shop-built using DMX-spec cable. If you want a one-piece unit, you could buy the "audio" connectors and wire them yourself using 110-ohm cable, but given the 1-2" cable length, why bother? For XLR3, I'd just use the "audio" devices.

XLR3:
CA-302
CA-303
XLR5:
DMX-5F5F
DMX-5M5M

Whenever the topic of "barrel" gender changer s or adaptor s arises, someone will chime in and state that it's not a good idea to put extra stress on the panel mount connectors. Point taken.

I'd just re-run the cable, perhaps using the wrong cable as a pullstring to pull in a new, correct one. Likely faster than soldering up one's own, or waiting on shipping. If the cable was run once, it can be run again.

Thanks for the replies. I used a couple of audio XLR gender changers from Hosa.. They are doing the job but I will simply have to break down and reverse the cable one day. I don't have the heart to tell the volunteer that I gave him incorrect directions although I know he would go up into that attic and do it again if asked.

Frank Chyz
Media Director
Liberty Baptist Church
Ellenboro, NC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back