360Q question?

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Found these photos on a popular auction site. What initially drew my attention is that the fixture was listed as an SL Coolbeam Zoom. Fail. But anyway, I've never seen the hunk of circular metal disc hanging off the side of the yoke. Its only purpose, the way it's installed, seems to permit a longer than stock side bolt. Is there any other function, and has anyone else seen similar? Is it an Altman part? Or a homemade locking dog, wrongly installed?

360q_yokeknob1.jpg

360q_yokeknob2.jpg

360q_yokeknob3.jpg

Question open to everyone.

It almost looks like a bearing used as a washer, as the bolt going through the yoke doesn't look tightened. I wish they had a picture of the other side.

That is really odd. So hard to tell from the photos.

I think it is from a 6 or 8" strand fresnelite.
mine have the raised rings and that same style notched spring washer.
photo from an e-bay posting

proxy.php

@venuetech, I had a similar thought but probably the wrong donor instrument. Berkey Colortran MiniEllipse.
ctran_mini_ellipse.jpg

Still don't understand why anyone thought the part was needed on a 360Q, particularly installed in a manner that doesn't do anything.

All I can guess is someone did a yoke swap and didn't know what to do with the disc but thought they needed it. Weird things happen during hangs.

The yoke itself actually looks correct to me. That spacer, though... Seems like a misguided attempt to correct for that missing lock-dog. But the yoke does appear to have the correct height and width of you imagine the nearly 1/4" locking dog that fits between the body and yoke.

Probably a "quick fix" for a hastily-rigged fixture which kept dropping its focus. They are actually some clean-looking fixtures he has there -- too bad he wants nearly retail price for them.

just a quick fix for the auction photos, it looked like it fit to some one unfamiliar with its normal appearance / operation.
if they were smart the would have just snapped photos of the other side of the unit.

All I can guess is someone did a yoke swap and didn't know what to do with the disc but thought they needed it. Weird things happen during hangs.
Yup. Seen it done before. When I was in school we had mostly 360Qs, Fresnals and Altmann zooms. We would have freshman "repair" the broken inventory and wou
Yup. Seen it done before. When I was in school we had 360Qs, Fresnals, and Altman zooms. We would have freshman and the like repair the broken inventory and would often get "Frankenlights" as the result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back