3D Vectorworks

Grog12

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Who's done it?

I'm just starting to teach myself...using knowledge from other programs and the help page from VW.....

Anyone got any pointers?

Can you make hybrid objects?

I've done it. And still do work with it every once in a while.

Basically I'm working on making 3-D spaces. I'm trying to figure out how to get hybrid objects so I don't have to do two layers/classes for my drafting and the actual 3-d space (so when I print plots they are up to standard).

I figured out how to convert our funky posistions here into 3-d (draft it in both 2 and 3 d before grouping it together then convert to Light Posisition) but that doesn't work for the theatre walls...I'll keep you all updated as I go..

Grog-

-Everything I do in VW is 3D because I find it easier to start that way than not. All Instrumentation is insterted 3D, all positions, all curtains, walls, stage floors, set pieces, etc.

Before you drive yourself crazy drawing them in both dimensions, I would attempt to use either the Pipe symbol/command to create your positions to the correct specifications and only once they are COMPLETELY finished, convert them to Lighting Positions--as you know, once that step is done, you can't alter the actual shape of the position. Easily anyways.

Walls should always insert 3D if you are using the wall tool and give them a specific height. I find the Fly Over tool is great for checking to make sure whether or not things were implimented in the correct dimmensions quickly.

If you are stuck, I'd be happy to send over a drawing or two for you to see how I'm accomplishing this. What version of VW are you using?

12.5....I usually use the wall tool when I put in sets when drafting 2-D anyway....here's my problem...it doesn't work well for stage wall with strange juts. Basically I'm trying to figure out how to throw a hatch or a pattern on the 3-d polygon I used to create the theatre walls. If I could just figure that one out I'd be in a good place because everything else is rather straight forward/easy.

IMHO, Hybrid symbols are a great thing.

You just draw the 3D, draw an overlapping 2D representation on the Plan View (numeric-pad-zero), select both and create a Symbol. (I like checking "leave instance in place").

Now to edit a Hybrid Symbol you double-click on it on 2D to edit the 2D part and double-click on 3D to edit the 3D part.

You can use copy & paste-in-place to re-confirm alignment between the 2D and 3D parts, but they will be segregated again as you exit the Symbol.

HTH
Alexandre
---
www.vectorplugins.com

abay...that's the answer to my 6-million dollar question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back