Control/Dimming 3pin to 5pin

DCATTechie

I just bought a Chauvet DMX-55 controller to play around with and control some cheap dj lights I have lying around. The DMX out on the board is a 3-pin, and unfortunately I have some dimmer packs that take a 5pin DMX in. I found this as a converter:
proxy.php

I called up Sam Ash today to see if they had one in stock, the guy on the other end told me that those adapters don't exist and it's impossible to go from 3pin DMX to 5pin DMX. I was 99.9% sure that this was possible before that call but his response made me wonder. So that's why I'm asking you guys. Will that adapter work?

Also, the way you select channels on the DMX-55 is by fixture buttons (1-12), and adjusting one of the 8 faders (2 banks of 8) changes an attribute. So my theory is as follows: I address my dimmer pack to 32, then select fixture number 2 (each fixture is set at having 16 channels each). Then I bring up fader one and that should correspond to channel one on my dimmer pack correct? I'm assuming that the board just sends out addressed data just like any other console correct?

I am 100% positive 3pin DMX to 5pin DMX exist. I am literally using one as I post this. It looks exactly the same as that picture

Edit: I believe I'm using one bought from ELS

Again Edit: Sam Ash, for further lighting questions, I suggest not calling them again. Ever. They are the devil

Last edited:
Further to Wyatt's post, you are correct. Fader 1 is DMX512 address 1, 2 is 2, etc. The "fixture" buttons on the Chauvet controllers are essentially an offset. If you have 16 faders and are on fixture 1, the faders are 1-16. If you are on fixture 2 the faders are 17-32, etc.

Tim.

P.S. my 3-5 doesn't have the cable in the middle. It just looks like a double ended XLR connector. Not only do they exist, they are plentiful, cheap and work just fine.

future reference sam ash is not the best place to get lighting stuff...or anything for that matter. I know a guy who bought a cable, and then needed another one and went to sam ash and they had the SAME EXACT cable for 2 times the cash

I address my dimmer pack to 32, then select fixture number 2 (each fixture is set at having 16 channels each). Then I bring up fader one and that should correspond to channel one on my dimmer pack correct? I'm assuming that the board just sends out addressed data just like any other console correct?

If you have 16 faders and are on fixture 1, the faders are 1-16. If you are on fixture 2 the faders are 17-32, etc.

Stupid me, that's the long focus session taking a toll on my math skills.....:rolleyes:

YES they do exist, I use them all the time. I have a number of each (3>5, 5>3). They're quite handy things to have around. Never expect people at Sam Ash to know anything about lighting.

Ahh, I'll put my two cents in here too.

As of now, there isn't any usage for the two additional pins so all that is used on 5 pin is 3 of the pins.

Right?

...P.S. my 3-5 doesn't have the cable in the middle. It just looks like a double ended XLR connector. Not only do they exist, they are plentiful, cheap and work just fine.
Thanks to avkid, this is the best price and vendor I have found for these.
proxy.php

Some will argue that a cabled adapter will put less stress on the panel mount connectors, and there's some validity in that, but I've never had an issue with the above.

...As of now, there isn't any usage for the two additional pins so all that is used on 5 pin is 3 of the pins.
Right?
Correct. However, to be absolutely compliant with ANSI E1.11 - USITT DMX-512A Asynchronous Serial Digital Data Transmission Standard for Controlling Lighting Equipment and Accessories, only 5pin XLRs may be used. Professionals often call cables with 3pin XLRs "data cables"; 4pin "Scroller Cables" (even if used for gobo rotators and other gadgets); and 5pin "DMX cables".

Additional notes:
As with all adapters, the MALE end is specified first.

The wiring is as follows:
5pin_ = 3pin_ = Use
Pin 1 = Pin 1 = shield
Pin 2 = Pin 2 = data- (compliment)
Pin 3 = Pin 3 = data+ (true)
Pin 4 = _____ = unused
Pin 5 = _____ = unused

I used shielded CAT5 as it is certified for use by USITT. It was really only certified for permanent installs but I decided to make a few cables for rig use and they have held up fine. CAT5 is cheap, I got 500ft. of black CAT5 for $60, can't beat that. So I make my own cables now and never buy the premade stuff like accu-cable as it isn't the proper cable anyway. You notice none of the cable that dj stores, and AMDJ, as well as elation sell have the USITT logo on them, cause if they did they would be sued. The accu-cable may be a type of data line but it is no where near the grade of the proper Belden cable that is the standard.

i buy all of my cable and adapters from CBI. They use neutric brand connectors, and belden cable. Also their prices are very hard to beat. For example i get soco breakins and breakouts much cheaper than what people are selling theirs for, and mine are 12awg, with hubble and soco brand connectors.

i buy all of my cable and adapters from CBI. They use neutric brand connectors, and belden cable. Also their prices are very hard to beat. For example i get soco breakins and breakouts much cheaper than what people are selling theirs for, and mine are 12awg, with hubble and soco brand connectors.

Very nice, looks like nice stuff I will have to look into them for future needs.

If they deny the existance of 3-5 Pins why are you still dealing with them??? Chances are they probably don't know too much ;)
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back