4:3 vs 16:9 projector

pguar

Hi. I'm going to project some full HD content on a theatre backdrop starting from the stage floor. There are actors on stage and I don't have enough space for a rear projection so I will go for a front projection, I will hang the projector on a bar and use a short throw lens.
Since I have to rent the projector will a native 16:9 or 16:10 projector be better and have less distortion than a 4:3 projector (that is cheaper to rent)?.

Will a 0.8:1 lens cause an excessive distortion in a case like this?

Last edited:
Well this depends on what you can get. In the ideal world, you want your display to match your content. So, for HD, you would want a 16:9 projector. However, you could get 720p out of a 1400x1050 (4:3) projector. The issue is that you are wasting a lot of you light doing this, especially if video black will be an issue for your production.

My biggest concern is that you want to hang from a batten and use a short throw lens. You will have significant keystone in your image which means that you will be unable to focus your entire image. Short throw lenses are meant for on-axis presentation. If focus doesn't matter as much for your content, go for it.

Well this depends on what you can get. In the ideal world, you want your display to match your content. So, for HD, you would want a 16:9 projector. However, you could get 720p out of a 1400x1050 (4:3) projector. The issue is that you are wasting a lot of you light doing this, especially if video black will be an issue for your production.

My biggest concern is that you want to hang from a batten and use a short throw lens. You will have significant keystone in your image which means that you will be unable to focus your entire image. Short throw lenses are meant for on-axis presentation. If focus doesn't matter as much for your content, go for it.

Thanks a lot...

My pleasure. If you are going to rent, I would see if you could get a demo from the rental house. Look to see if the short throw lens at the relative angle will look adequate or if you want to consider a long throw lens from back of house instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back