4-Pin DMX?

Hey, I have only been in the lighting world for about 2 years now. I finally decided to purchase Chauvet EPIX Strips and realized they only use a 4-pin connection. I guess it’s just my ignorance, but I have personally never seen a 4-pin connection.

Is there a bulk cable/connectors I can buy to make these cables myself? Or am I stuck having to pay $20-$50 for a 6’ cable?

Not positive but I think they use "scroller cable" for power and data between the Epix Drive 900 and the fixture. Check out the user manual for more info:
You can also get color scroller cable from Lex Products and other companies.
You can make your own using 4pin xlr connectors and by sourcing the correct type cable. (it would require a larger twisted pair for power and a twisted shielded pair for data.)

Hey, I have only been in the lighting world for about 2 years now. I finally decided to purchase Chauvet EPIX Strips and realized they only use a 4-pin connection. I guess it’s just my ignorance, but I have personally never seen a 4-pin connection.

Is there a bulk cable/connectors I can buy to make these cables myself? Or am I stuck having to pay $20-$50 for a 6’ cable?
@APoythress A quick reply from a retired geezer:
Three comments: I'm assuming you're speaking of XLR style 4 contact connectors.
1; If so, one typical format includes two individually twisted pairs, a heavier gauge pair carrying power to power the device(s) being controlled and a lighter gauge pair carrying the DMX signal.
There are manufacturer specific variants: Some will employ a common overall shield typically connected to the power supply's low side AT ONE END ONLY purely for shielding. Other variants are FAR BEYOND the scope of my post.
Cutting to the chase: Never assume "the connectors fit, surely it MUST be right; this is rarely a safe assumption, even less rarely in the case of XLR4's.
2; Yes, you'll be able to purchase bulk cable, connectors, and fabricate custom length cables, the caveat; you'll need to delve deeply into the type of cable and how it's connected for your specific devices. Even after you've gotten this far, you may purchase other XLR4 connected products from other manufacturers and you MAY need to start again from square one.
3; The mere fact you've mentioned Chauvet in a post on Control Booth will most likely automatically flag at least two employees of Chauvet who'll likely read your post and come to your aid, if they haven't already done so while I've been typing.
@Ford and / or @rsmentele would either of you care to come to @APoythress 's aid?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hi APoythress!!
We chose to use 4-pin XLR on the Epix line precisely because it was:
A. Is plentiful, and was mostly just taking up space in a lot of rental shops and Venues (leftover from the days of Color Scrollers). So, is a better value for most users than other similarly robust cable types.
B. Is designed to carry both data and power simultaneously.

You can absolutely use scroller cable. It may be less expensive to purchase someone’s old cable than to make your own. Ironically, unshielded cable (like is available from Chauvet) will actually give you the ability to run longer lengths of cable than the shielded scroller cable. The distances for each cable type are listed in the product specs.

Hi APoythress!!
We chose to use 4-pin XLR on the Epix line precisely because it was:
A. Is plentiful, and was mostly just taking up space in a lot of rental shops and Venues (leftover from the days of Color Scrollers). So, is a better value for most users than other similarly robust cable types.
B. Is designed to carry both data and power simultaneously.

You can absolutely use scroller cable. It may be less expensive to purchase someone’s old cable than to make your own. Ironically, unshielded cable (like is available from Chauvet) will actually give you the ability to run longer lengths of cable than the shielded scroller cable. The distances for each cable type are listed in the product specs.
Sounds good! I’ve been looking where to purchase the 4-pin from Chauvet and it seems like it’s not in stock and also not sold at a lot of places.
This was just after about an hour search last night. Do you know where I can get some on hand rather quickly?

@APoythress A quick reply from a retired geezer:
Three comments: I'm assuming you're speaking of XLR style 4 contact connectors.
1; If so, one typical format includes two individually twisted pairs, a heavier gauge pair carrying power to power the device(s) being controlled and a lighter gauge pair carrying the DMX signal.
There are manufacturer specific variants: Some will employ a common overall shield typically connected to the power supply's low side AT ONE END ONLY purely for shielding. Other variants are FAR BEYOND the scope of my post.
Cutting to the chase: Never assume "the connectors fit, surely it MUST be right; this is rarely a safe assumption, even less rarely in the case of XLR4's.
2; Yes, you'll be able to purchase bulk cable, connectors, and fabricate custom length cables, the caveat; you'll need to delve deeply into the type of cable and how it's connected for your specific devices. Even after you've gotten this far, you may purchase other XLR4 connected products from other manufacturers and you MAY need to start again from square one.
3; The mere fact you've mentioned Chauvet in a post on Control Booth will most likely automatically flag at least two employees of Chauvet who'll likely read your post and come to your aid, if they haven't already done so while I've been typing.
@Ford and / or @rsmentele would either of you care to come to @APoythress 's aid?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Thank you for not making me feel like an idiot. I appreciate you replying and helping me out.

Not to blatantly plug, but I think we have some at Creative Stage Lighting ready to go, or can be made up quickly. I'm not in the office today, but if you call (518) 251-3302 you can get someone in sales to help you out out for 4-pin cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back