40 Years Ago Today was a bad day to be at....

TimMc

Premium Member
The Kansas City Hyatt Regency Sunday Tea Dance.

Had the original design been followed this failure would not have happened.

edit ps:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I use this all the time to explain sheer in truss when loading near your suspensions.

I well recall the design, originally as support rods passing thru the catwalk, somebody changed that to a set supporting the catwalk, then a 2nd set off the catwalk to the structure below. Nope.
Actually it was more than that. The catwalks were 8% heavier than calculated, and the structure was under engineered.
from the National Bureau of Standards report “ the ultimate capacity avpctually available using the original construction detail would have been approximately 60% of the expected connection designed in accordance with the specifications of the Kansas City Code”

it's also strange why they used C channel to form he box beams and not an actual box beam, which would have avoided the weld bead at the same places as the rod holes.

I recall (perhaps incorrectly) that the steel supplier made order errors and to not delay construction, use of immediately available materials was 'engineered' in a very hasty manner.

That recollection could be wrong, but enough of it sticks to the wetware that I think it's largely right.

This is NOT good for my productivity, I'm now hooked on the Practical Engineering youtube channel. really good stuff.

And in 2007, I stayed in that hotel for the Robert A Heinlein Centennial, held at both ends of the Habitrail.

Didn't think about it til a couple days in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back