5 gallon bucket stage audio considerations

Don't drill the buckets. They will not affect the sound in any appreciable way. As for elevating the subs, your better off just using EQ and not adding anything else to drag around. Keep it simple!

Is a hole saw a drill bit? (No according to google, but we do have a fake news problem south of the Donald's wall.)
Now that you've got me rolling: Is a drill sergeant a drill?
And how about: Benadryl. Is a ben a dryl??
And of course there are always augers, Forstner bits, Speed-bores and helical piles.
Plus those fancy schmancy directional drilling rigs they use to drill down into our planet and then turn sideways, keep right on drilling, and eventually hit their target within fractions of a foot, with 300' plus of drilling pipe as their extensions providing cooling and flushing of debris up and out all the while they're drilling away and welding 20 or 30' foot extensions to their rig. (And then there's retrieval of their uber EXPENSIVE directional drilling bit. Directional drilling is some impressive technology.
'enough of this.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

How big do you think the largest drill bit he can find is?

In the likely environments this will be used with the sound gear discused, you wont hear the difference if its plywood on plastic buckets with or without holes or a solid block of concrete.
Anything that makes a hole while spinning *could* be considered a drill bit by those with a loose grip on semantics...

The rest we agree on. My comment was aimed at making modifications for reasons that are undefined or poorly understood, with implications that go beyond the sonics.

The reality is that the OP will get better results with his sub on the floor than elevated and whatever the impact of the bucket resonance, it will be minimal compared to the limitations imposed by the choice of sound system. And that all may be moot depending on the nature of the program material.

Getting your sub off the ground will be of no benefit, unless the height happens to give you a boundary cancellation (frequency notch) at the frequency of a room node. For instance an 8' ceiling will have a big boost at about 75Hz. Putting the sub 4' from a boundary (wall, floor, ceiling) will create a boundary cancellation at 75Hz to compensate for the boost.

Truly your collective intellect is dizzying. ;o)

I think I'll drill a couple half inch holes on both sides of each bucket toward the bottom. That should keep them from sticking together when stacked. If that also helps acoustically, cool.

I guess I'll put the Bose on the floor then.

Thank you for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back