50Amp plug adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

My lighting rig has grown to the point where more power and some distribution is needed. I have seen many other stage folk using portable power distribtion boxes or home made panel box stuff. So I decided to buy my own box. It is a 50A 250V spider box. Kind you see for rent or on construction sites. It has a 50A california standard 6364 receptical for feeding it power.
I have yet to buy a cable to hook in to what ever the venue has to offer me. I work mostly in clubs, theaters or public areas like parks or halls. Seems most of the time if I can get any high power outlets it is range style or the cs6365. I am looking in to building an adapter to mate the 50A California Standard twist with a 50A range plug. CS6364 to 14-50p. I am then able to twistlock the adapter to the distro side.
Any experiences with type of set up? Any other adapter plug types that I should think about?
Thanks for help

P.S. I am not looking to manually tie in to any bare wire.

You're treading thin ice here...

We cannot tell you how to build an adapter of this type, it's against Forum policy.

You setup however sounds good, and I'm very glad to hear you went out and bought a professionally made spider box, instead of trying to make your own.

Your adapter, if you can get it professionally made would work fine and would be compliant to code. Other common plugs to look out for would be Cam-Lok's which would require more that just an adapter to connect to (needs another distro,) Straight Blade NEMA 14-60 as well as Standard 50 Amp, 100 Amp and 200 Amp Pin and Sleeve connectors.

Thanks for replies.
I am shooting for a completly safe and legitimate set up. Not trying to cut corners by a do it your self attitude. Just looking for the correct roads to continue down. I hope to have an electrical outfit build the cable to code specs.

If you have a place that will build the cable for you, then just simply tell them you want a so cable x amount of feet long with x connectors.

I think this thread is beyond the limits of the TOS so I'm closing it.

It may be deleted as well, but I'm going to pass that decision on to others with more electrical knowledge than myself.

I think this thread is beyond the limits of the TOS so I'm closing it.

It may be deleted as well, but I'm going to pass that decision on to others with more electrical knowledge than myself.

I concur. I think we have enough vague information in this thread that someone without proper experience/training could get themselves seriously injured or killed by working on this project. If you have a professional source, just call them and tell them what you need, no need to debate it in open forum.

I am going to leave the thread closed, and I am going to remove a couple posts.

As always, with any situations that concern any form of personal safety, consult a local professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back