Conventional Fixtures 6" Fresnel - Dishwasher safe?

Charc

I was told to put the lens in the. No problem, right?... 'Cause it's sorta generic glass. I supposed even windex would be okay, though I was taught never to use windex on ERSs.

So, are you Fresnels dishwasher safe?

Yes, the lenses should be fine in a dishwasher; you'll want to use non-streaking/spotting soap though.

The reason that Windex is bad is because commercial cleaners use abrasive chemicals, which cause really bad problems if used on your reflectors, but aren't good for lenses either. You also don't want your lenses getting tinted blue.

Yes, the lenses should be fine in a dishwasher; you'll want to use non-streaking/spotting soap though.

The reason that Windex is bad is because commercial cleaners use abrasive chemicals, which cause really bad problems if used on your reflectors, but aren't good for lenses either. You also don't want your lenses getting tinted blue.

Close but no cigar! The real reason Windex and most commercial cleaners are bad is that most contain Silicone compounds that aid in the " No Streaking" Formulas. You can't see them but they are there and when they get hot they get icky turn black and smell.

Charc if you're too lazy to just clean them with Isopropyll and a rag, then just run them through the school cafeteria's "auto-chlor" just don't add soap. :mrgreen:

Never had problems with Windex types or the dish washer - with soap and Jet Dry. Perhaps with Windex a denatured alcohol wash with rag whipe afterwards to remove residue would be sufficient to remove residue.

Interesting above notes but I'm yet to see this problem. On the other hand an industrial dish washer with soap I think would be the best solution in that it will get up to a great temperature and the soap will help remove dirt.

Is this okay for all lenses?

It's strongly discouraged to take the lenses out of your eyes and put them in the dishwasher, or douse them in alcohol for that matter.

It's strongly discouraged to take the lenses out of your eyes and put them in the dishwasher, or douse them in alcohol for that matter.
Yeah I hate it when I do that......
:rolleyes::mrgreen:

Funny, but not quite what i meant..:lol::rolleyes:

The dishwasher method is ok for Fresnels, standard plano-convex, PAR lenses, roundels, and any pre-source 4 ellipsoidal.

It is NOT a good method for cleaning Source 4 Ellipsoidal lenses.

For 90 degree to 14 degree lenses, ETC recommends a 50-50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water.

For 5 and 10 degree lenses, they recommend a mixture of 9 parts water to 1 part isopropyl alcohol.

They strictly command that no cleaners containing ammonia be used, as this can damage the anti glare coating, and may contain abrasive material that will cause damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back