7-pin DMX

Can we all be clear on something here?

XLR is the type of connector. There are 3 pin XLR (mic or an unapproved DMX), 4 Pin XLR (typically scroller), 5 pin XLR(DMX), 6 Pin XLR, (used for many things, but Clear-com is one), and by the title of this thread, 7 pin XLR.

XLR does not mean that it is a 3 pin connector. These connectors were originally called "Cannon X" connectors (after the guy that invented them) with the LR coming on through subsequent versions of the connector ("L" being the latching mechanism and "R" being the rubber compound between the pins)

Sorry to gripe about this, but this is one of my pet peeves. Kinda like calling a lamp a bulb. Don't get me started on that one..... :)

Is this picky? Absolutely. But as we are reduced to nothing but text in these forum type of settings, I think that it's pretty important that we try our best to be as accurate as possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
In a conversation this morning with ETC, they turned me on to a very elegant solution to getting multiple Cat5 taps at location.

It's a device made by 3Com, called IntelliJack.

http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/products/en_US/400717.pdf

Basically a PoE switch that can be mounted in a standard electrical box (think 1900 box with a c-clamp on it - or permanently mounted on/in a wall) and allows signal to 4 devices as well as pass thru.

Nice stuff.

Steve B.

Can we all be clear on something here?
XLR is the type of connector. There are 3 pin XLR (mic or an unapproved DMX), 4 Pin XLR (typically scroller), 5 pin XLR(DMX), ...
XLR does not mean that it is a 3 pin connector. ...
Sorry to gripe about this, but this is one of my pet peeves. ...
You might start by convincing the world's largest lighting production company, who uses:
"XLR" to refer to any 3-pin data cable
"RAM" to refer to any 4-pin data + power cable, including LEDs
"DMX" to refer to any 5-pin DMX cable.

...Basically a PoE switch that can be mounted in a standard electrical box (think 1900 box with a c-clamp on it - or permanently mounted on/in a wall) and allows signal to 4 devices as well as pass thru. ...
So I could just daisy-chain these gizmos (3com IntelliJacks) down the truss, one for each set of four lights? (When we have fixtures that support ACN, that is.;)) Before ship does, I'll object to your use of a 1900 box for such a purpose.:!:

So I could just daisy-chain these gizmos (3com IntelliJacks) down the truss, one for each set of four lights? (When we have fixtures that support ACN, that is.;)) Before ship does, I'll object to your use of a 1900 box for such a purpose.:!:

From what I was reading in the 3Com literature - yes, you can daisy chain as one model seems to have an Uplink RJ45, a pass-thru RJ45 and 4 data RJ45's, thus 4 devices.

I have no info, but wonder if there are limits as to how far and how many devices before you exceed the capabilities of the PoE injector, though 3Com does have an AC adapter for the units and the devices can inject PoE directly and locally.

I'm also not sure exactly what box it fit's as it's designed for in-wall, so I assume either handy box or 4x4 of some sort. Then it just needs a c-clamp to pipe/truss mount. I would prefer a Woodhead box, but at this point these units are intended for an office environment, so the actual box, and robustness of the design needs to be thought about. What exactly about the 1900 didn't you like, BTW ? - (Or to put it another way - how am I being stupid - before I spec. it !)

Maybe something for Lex Products or City Theatrical to think about.

Steve B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back