$70 all in one mumble server and wifi

Update.. I had another member attempt to set up on a pi3b+ It turns out the + demands a more modern version of the operating system, and we were tearing our hair out
trying to get it to work. I even burned and sd for him... then finally I ordered a new pi3 which came as the + model and I had my duh moment. the plus has enhanced ethernet, wifi, and bluetooth
so I will try to build an image from scratch. sigh.... that said, my install at Music Guild is over a year old now and soldiering on just dandy. stay tuned.

I just uploaded picomm2.img.zip along with some newer documentation to my google drive. Link to the forum resource that has a link to the google drive
https://www.controlbooth.com/resources/picomm-version-2.126/ The google folder gives you access to both the base and client images. Client images are
for the pi and for a bootable thumb drive for a pc or thin client that boots to a clean linux environment running the mumble client to connect to the picomm base
documentation is also in the folder.

I just uploaded a new image for the station/client that works with the pi3b+ as well as the 3b and the pizero w. Also there is a station image for a bootable usb thumb drive that will let you boot your old windows computer or thin client to linux with the picomm client already loaded and ready to log into the picomm server. The link and new documentation are in the resources section here.

Full disclosure. I have another member trying to replicate the project with the new pi3+ compatible images. We have been having some stability problems on reboots
My original on 3 is still rock solid for me at the theater, and we are trying to find the magic sauce on the newer images. Just in case there was anyone else out there working
with the new images.

For what it's worth I got a system working with the pi 3B server and several pi zeros, all jt's images and techical advice... even vnc'd in with an IPad to tweak the settings. I also put the client image on a laptop and was going to try to access the network from farther away over ethernet, but that's when the school year got busy (I am a full time art teacher) and the project is on ice for a while!

I actually ended up outfitting my entire classroom with pi 3b+ machines, replacing old Fedora USB thin clients, and they work great for that application...

Regards, and thanks for all the help,
Will

Full disclosure. I have another member trying to replicate the project with the new pi3+ compatible images. We have been having some stability problems on reboots
My original on 3 is still rock solid for me at the theater, and we are trying to find the magic sauce on the newer images. Just in case there was anyone else out there working
with the new images.

Rainy day progress. The new 3b+ station images are fine (though I have a slightly refined one to load yet) BUT... the 3b+ is a different beast when it comes
to making it the self hosting router. All the newest boards and OS and mumble work still quite well in a conventional setup using an existing wifi router, but something in the new 3b+ dual band wifi changes the requirements for having it be an access point/ self hosted wifi. So if you want to do that right now you have to buy a 3b not a 3b+ and use my original picomm image to achieve self hosted one box wifi and mumble server. Bottom line Mumble is still a viable and useful option for comm. The holy grail of one tiny box to rule them all is stuck in version 3b for now.

JT - got your server up and running on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ for use at our 80-seat theater. Install was super simple and no issues with that part. Thank to you for putting it out there.

Wondering if you have run into any latency issues. I am using older Android phones running Plumble connected to an inexpensive headset with a mic mute switch. Plan was to leave the app in voice activity trigger mode and just unmute using the switch as needed. If no one is talking, obviously no issues. As soon as one person unmutes and starts to talk there is a significant (2+ seconds) lag, or sometimes doesn't even get through. Monitoring the latency on the Plumble app shows 2000ms and higher. Tried turning down all the quality settings on the clients to use less bandwidth, but doesn't seem to have much effect. Any ideas?

After much hair pulling and testing, bottom line. If you want to use cell phones the server needs to be a B. Not a B+. For some unknown reason the WiFi handshaking with phones on the B+ is really flakey. Pi connections are fine. So unfortunately need to use a B. Or can plug into an old router and do your phone access through the router. It will auto config with the router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back