A big welcome to our newest member!!!!!!!!

Don't worry 12yearold, but again, get used to it because MY IBM THINKPAD R40 IS COMING.

okokokokokok, i know i should have used a pm for that but i cant help it.

A few things:

Welcome from someone who joined after you.

Your Intellabeams could have a lot of different issues. But all those different things happening at once leads me to believe it's a control or data cable issue. Have you run them singly (i.e., one fixture, direct from the board on a new/verified cable) to make sure they are functioning? Most lights will be fine in standalone so that's no real test.

Be careful which Minimacs you buy. The first generation had a really crappy wiring harness that failed after a short time. You'll want ones that were built within the past 2 years to be on the safe side. There is a retrofit kit available but if you buy Minimacs used it's unlikely you'll be able to get the kit for free.

If you buy new, there's 2 companies I could recommend, one in Virginia that has done shipping to Canada and one here in Illinois that I'm not sure has. The one I've bot stuff from for a long time, and the other I do some production work for.

I will try that, however, when i took the hood off and checked the motors and wheels, some seemed to have loose motors. That is, as i spun them manually, there were certain points in the rotation where the wheel would hold, and other points where it would spin freely. it didnt seem natural.

Now the trick will be testing them one by one. they've been hardwired into the room. any way to test them without taking the ligths down?

producer said:
any way to test them without taking the ligths down?

There's a small, handheld dmx controller, called pocket console http://www.thepocketconsole.com/ which could help. Or just use one long cable and run it straight to each light. A pain either way if they're they're permanent, but I don't know of any other way.

no budget to buy anything and the nearest one is 20 feet away. the furthest one is 50+ feet away. i guess i'll have to take the LCD controller up there.

Handheld DMX controllers are very useful if you have the budget. My Palm Lynx saved my rear about two weeks ago when I only had a male Five pin to Female Three pin adaptor, some lengths of three pin data cable and no reverse adaptor or any five pin that would connect with the light board and dimmer I rented.

Ran the show off my three pin hand held controller, but beyond that and in the past such little controllers are good for analyzing at the dimmer end what data is being sent from the controller as if a monitor, transmitting datta, and doing in the field testing or working on equipment from above a ladder. Much less it can act as if a remote focus unit in turning on various dimmers from on stage to look for burnt out lamps before a show.

Given this however if your Pocket Console is anything like my Palm Lynx, while small, it ain't cheap in cost either. Believe there are a few other brands on the market even some GAM version if I remember right. The Litl Dmxter and Mini Dmxter are also not that large they could not be taken up on a ladder.

Given the price of such things, a long length of data cable and if the theater has a remote focus controller, such a thing should be also sufficient to solve the troubleshooting problems. If nothing else, a long length of data cable coming directly from the light board in bypassing control cable installed and a buddy sitting at the light board in the booth while you call out commands of things to do should work.

After all this intellabeam troubleshooting, an answer that will affect them has finally come! Well, at least for the two most troublsome ones, they are being shipped off to christie lights, Vancouver for fixing! The only problem is that they have been in storage for about a month now waiting to be shipped! :cry: Anyway, just a tidbit of information regarding intellabeams in general... THE LAST TWO INTELLABEAMS WERE SOLD AROUND CHRISTMAS! These intellabeams were in a high end storage room and were brand new, not even taken out of the box! The intellabeam era is now compleatly over as far as high end in concerned! Oh well, there is always the DL1! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back