Vintage Lighting A Chorus Line Mystery Drawing

STEVETERRY

The New York Public Library has the attached drawing in their collection. It is a somewhat inaccurate representation of the LS-8--the first computer lighting system on Broadway for A Chorus Line in 1975.

The NYPL is looking to identify the person that made this drawing. I have no idea. Gordon Pearlman, the inventor of the LS-8 has no idea. Myles Ambrose, the head of the electronics department at Four Star has no idea.

Any ideas?

ST

Attachments

• ChorusLineComputer.jpg
    ChorusLineComputer.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 375
Hi Steve-

My quick guess (and that's all it is) would be this is a conceptual sketch to or from the case builder. Who would have been involved in packaging the LS-8 into such a compact form? For a show that wasn't touring I'm surprised at the casework origami.

Hi Steve-

My quick guess (and that's all it is) would be this is a conceptual sketch to or from the case builder. Who would have been involved in packaging the LS-8 into such a compact form? For a show that wasn't touring I'm surprised at the casework origami.
@TimMc While you're guessing "case builder", I'm recalling a similar case when Chorus Line played 2 performances in Hamilton, Ontario jammed into a gap in their tour. This would've been in '77.

Our theatre had recently opened; George McPherson was our 1st GM and was eager to have as many ticket selling productions as possible in his brand new venue. Mr. McPherson used his decades on Broadway and years as Harry Belafontes Tour Manager to snag as many tours as possible to fill gaps in his blank canvas. It was not uncommon for us to have tours stop for a 16 hour non-stop load in, 1 matinee, 1 evening, then straight into an all night out to make their next scheduled stop.
I especially recall the fancy case as the touring LX head treated it like platinum; only his touring crew handled it. The console was rolled into one of our STAR dressing rooms where it sat in the LOCKED room acclimatizing with one of its handlers napping beside it.

It was a MAJOR deal to have a touring memory console in our building. Several of our LX department were allowed to watch, from a respectful distance, when two of the tours LX crew gingerly rolled the console from its STAR accommodation into DSR where it was re-powered and guarded by two or three of the tours LX department.
Tom Taylor, our Head LX, + one of our most senior brothers, and myself as the lowly Assistant LX, were allowed to stand within 10' feet of the console while its operator was checking to make sure his cues had survived intact.

We had one of the first Strand Century drum memory consoles in our theatre's booth, a massive desk with two telco style 23" wide (when 19" was the normal standard) 40-ish RU tall racks racks. Our IDM Q was Strand Canada's version of Thorn's Q file.; ours was equipped for 80 channels and expandable to 100. It was a BIG deal to have Chorus Line's comparatively tiny WONDER in our building for roughly 24 hours.

Maybe a decade later Strand's new little MX series were running circles around the Strand / Thorn IDM Q / Q file.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back