A Cool, Green PC

STEVETERRY

See:

www.Fit-PC.com

I have this running a music server 24/7. It draws 5 watts (that's right, I said five!).

It might be useful for a lot of applications. Perhaps even some in lighting!

ST

Mac Mini anyone?

EDIT: Though it is nice that it is made by an Israeli company.

Would be a pretty nice mythtv frontend, if only it had TV out of some sort.

This might actually end up controling our lights in our building... Its GE lighting... all we need is DOS...

It's cute, but My God could you imagine running XP on 256 meg of ram, and a 500 mhz processor? I think it's a neat idea, maybe for a lighting desk. but at 500 Mhz it wouldn't be much of a sound, or multimedia computer, even if you were only rnning it's stock Gentoo Linux. < I prefer Ubuntoo>

It's cute, but My God could you imagine running XP on 256 meg of ram, and a 500 mhz processor? I think it's a neat idea, maybe for a lighting desk. but at 500 Mhz it wouldn't be much of a sound, or multimedia computer, even if you were only rnning it's stock Gentoo Linux. < I prefer Ubuntoo>

It wouldnt be bad for running a dedicated linux box, I would not put windows on it. It would run mythfronted well as well as unbuntu. If you wanted a PC in your kitchen or something like that it would be pretty great.

I happen to know from experience that XP can run somewhat tolerably on 400MHz with 256MB RAM. And Ubuntu, openSuSE, DSL, VectorLinux, and CentOS can run smoothly. So 500MHz, lets just say if I had the money I would have another computer being added to my inventory very soon. The part that gets me is how cheap it is! Though I guess considering again 500MHz, I'd say its a reasonable price.

Funny thing is I just bought about the exact opposite of those, I got a couple of servers on eBay for really cheap, turns out they BARELY fit between the doors of my rack, and forget mounting them.

Mac Mini anyone?
Plug your Mac mini into a Kill-a-Watt and let us know the results. Apple's specs say "maximum continuous power 110W." I'm not degrading Macs, just pointing out how amazing steveterry's new toy is. Now I'm going to have to buy a Kill-a-Watt, just to see how long the payback would take if I replaced my main HP machine.

Plug your Mac mini into a Kill-a-Watt and let us know the results. Apple's specs say "maximum continuous power 110W." I'm not degrading Macs, just pointing out how amazing steveterry's new toy is. Now I'm going to have to buy a Kill-a-Watt, just to see how long the payback would take if I replaced my main HP machine.

Search hard on the web--I got my Kill a watts for $19.00 each.

ST

It wouldnt be bad for running a dedicated linux box, I would not put windows on it. It would run mythfronted well as well as unbuntu. If you wanted a PC in your kitchen or something like that it would be pretty great.

I am running XP Home on the Fit-PC, but only for Slimserver--I don't have anything else but Avira running.

However, it's fairly snappy for web browsing, etc.

I had a six-week adventure with Ubuntu on another machine, and I decided I am too dumb or don't have enough time in my life to head down the Linux path.

ST

A few years ago I received a generic minimag light from ETC for participating in an Installed Dimmer Survey. The theatre site upon which I based my responses is now a 40-floor condo tower. Two 96x2.4 Sensor Racks and seven raceways are landfill, minus their copper content I suspect. BTW-I never saw the results. A search for "dimmer survey" at http://www.etcconnect.com/search.asp returns 0 results.

Perhaps ETC needs to do another survey of some sort and give ETC-logo'ed Kill-A-Watts as lovely parting gifts. I'm still opening boxes like Charlie looking for that golden SourceFour. Then I could prove that ridiculous question "Which of the following currents would flow..."

Okay, if that won't fly, how about this. If I look seriously at the EOS and ION, after 11/18/07, of course, I get a free Kill-A-Watt? John Huntington's article has me intrigued. The fact that the ETC EOS (ION also?) is not only "ACN-ready" but also "ACN-now, Completely" makes me suspect I'll be working with one sooner than I had originally thought. I predict they'll be some discussions in ETC's EOS forum about that.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. See the thread in the Off-Topic area titled "Shoot out: FitPC vs. Mac mini"

A few years ago I received a generic minimag light from ETC for participating in an Installed Dimmer Survey. The theatre site upon which I based my responses is now a 40-floor condo tower. Two 96x2.4 Sensor Racks and seven raceways are landfill, minus their copper content I suspect. BTW-I never saw the results. A search for "dimmer survey" at http://www.etcconnect.com/search.asp returns 0 results.
Perhaps ETC needs to do another survey of some sort and give ETC-logo'ed Kill-A-Watts as lovely parting gifts. I'm still opening boxes like Charlie looking for that golden SourceFour. Then I could prove that ridiculous question "Which of the following currents would flow..."
Okay, if that won't fly, how about this. If I look seriously at the EOS and ION, after 11/18/07, of course, I get a free Kill-A-Watt? John Huntington's article has me intrigued. The fact that the ETC EOS (ION also?) is not only "ACN-ready" but also "ACN-now, Completely" makes me suspect I'll be working with one sooner than I had originally thought. I predict they'll be some discussions in ETC's EOS forum about that.
And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. See the thread in the Off-Topic area titled "Shoot out: FitPC vs. Mac mini"

They did publish the results awhile back on their website, could be gone by now. It was published in live design, might want to do a search there.

Yeah, but the Mac mini has an optical drive and Wifi and such, plus a better processor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back