A DMX512 Historical Artifact

STEVETERRY

My good friend Mitch Hefter unearthed the attached document from 1986, and I thought it would be interesting for this group. It's ironic to note that it generated hostility from some of its target consultant audience, as they felt that DMX512 would encourage "unqualified" systems to be installed.

ST

Attachments

• DMX512 - AMX192 1986Intro Letter_srt.pdf
    46.7 KB · Views: 310
The way this letter is written sort of reminds me of a speech I heard (Not live I might add. I am not that old) by some bloke many years ago. It starts off with "I have a dream"
It would be interesting reading if some responses were found and the reactions. Anything new usually causes a stir. Can you imagine life without DMX?

Can you imagine life without DMX?

1657236841378.png

The way this letter is written sort of reminds me of a speech I heard (Not live I might add. I am not that old) by some bloke many years ago. It starts off with "I have a dream"
It would be interesting reading if some responses were found and the reactions. Anything new usually causes a stir. Can you imagine life without DMX?
I have the dissenting responses, but it seems to me that there is a statute of limitations and not much to be gained by identification of the early dissenters.

ST

:)
ST

I have the dissenting responses, but it seems to me that there is a statute of limitations and not much to be gained by identification of the early dissenters.

ST
I'd assume Vari-Lite probably wouldn't have like it.... as they didn't want to be cut out of the controller game.

I'm sure you all didn't think we'd still be using it nearly 40 years later.... and there is no end to that in sight as far as the last mile goes.

ST
If they were de-identified (is that even a word?) it might be fun reading.

I'd assume Vari-Lite probably wouldn't have like it.... as they didn't want to be cut out of the controller game.

I'm sure you all didn't think we'd still be using it nearly 40 years later.... and there is no end to that in sight as far as the last mile goes.
Vari*Lite was initially silent on the DMX512 issue. Until later, when they adopted it. :)

ST

Thanks Steve, I attended Milton's class "DMX for the rest of us" at NAMM. It was wonderful and he did a great job of telling the tales of the bad old days, the creation of DMX and what it has meant to the industry. This is a great addition to that class.

Was there a Betamax to DMX's VHS?
In that Beta was actually the superior format, no.

The only serious competitor to DMX was AMX, which had the advantage of being first and also the large installed base of CD80 dimmers. Once CD-80 began accepting DMX (CD80AE 1992?), AMX found itself on the road to obsolescence. Also, eventually there were so many "flavors" of AMX/CD80 one was never sure if it would work or not, even with Strand equipment at both ends.

In that Beta was actually the superior format, no.

The only serious competitor to DMX was AMX, which had the advantage of being first and also the large installed base of CD80 dimmers. Once CD-80 began accepting DMX (CD80AE 1992?), AMX found itself on the road to obsolescence. Also, eventually there were so many "flavors" of AMX/CD80 one was never sure if it would work or not, even with Strand equipment at both ends.
What Derek said.

ST

I remember those days... Working in a small shop, I was in charge of all of the electronics. Matching up controllers to dimmers... I still remember my shop forman directing me to re-trim our new shipment of TTI 6 packs back to 13.5v from 10v. I remember telling him I'd rather retrim all our old packs and controllers to 10v, which we did... I still have my shop made LED cinch jones output tester kicking around somewhere. I think our EDI racks must have supported both AMX192 (had to for the Light Palette right?) and DMX512 (and maybe 0-10v?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back