A fun project I came up with...

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I ordered a Computer Monitor Mounting Arm and a Music stand top (I ordered the 18" wide version of this, but it's currently not listed on Amazon). Drilled out the mounting bracket for the music stand and screwed it onto the swing arm and there you go... a nice way for a board operator to have a script. Push it out of the way, when you don't need it. Swing it wherever you want it. A single hole through the desk and the arm bolts on very securely. There's a tension adjustment on the back for the vertical spring. It can hold a pretty big monitor so no problem holding a big script.

IMG_20171207_182537.jpg IMG_20171207_182409.jpg
Don't like the show, watch your script instead! ;) IMG_20171207_182422.jpg

Fancy.

Nice, but should the "gafftaper module" be added to the Wiki? Maybe the "Gafftaper DDD"(Document Deployment Device-don't you see).

I think we're going to add a second one for lights, but before we can I have to mount the monitor on an arm too.

I see metal music stands on CraigsList for $10 all the time...looks like it's time to steal this idea for the local Community Theatre!

Come to think of it...I happen to have the top of a Wenger music stand on my workbench (trying to repair the failed drag on telescoping tube). If I use it for this it's a win-win! :clap:

Now...I just need to figure out how can I make the Monitor arm quickly/easily clamp to a desk for our touring show....

Last edited:
I see metal music stands on CraigsList for $10 all the time...looks like it's time to steal this idea for the local Community Theatre!

Come to think of it...I happen to have the top of a Wenger music stand on my workbench (trying to repair the failed drag on telescoping tube). If I use it for this it's a win-win! :clap:

Now...I just need to figure out how can I make the Monitor arm quickly/easily clamp to a desk for our touring show....

The temporary clamp on option that came with this particular monitor arm looked pretty good. It's rated to hold up to a 20lb monitor so it should be able to handle a script. I had the room and don't plan to remove it so I drilled the hole.

This is a really great idea! Well done!

Did you run the power cable for the light through the monitor arm?
Does your headphone ever decide to make changes on the touch screen? Maybe you could add a headphone hook to one side of the DDD.

I'm amazed this hasn't been done before. Oh wait there's this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GATY6E6/?tag=controlbooth-20
but no light and certainly no com clip.

It's a great idea that I wish I'd thought of! Make it a areal product and I'll include it in my projects.

Wow, but it's $39 for just the document holder part - which means the arm is an additional cost. That seems pretty steep.

I just completed my project earlier today and used it for our matinee show (sorry, did not get pics today). It worked great!! It was so convenient by being able to instantly adjust it wherever I needed!

The temporary clamp on option that came with this particular monitor arm looked pretty good. It's rated to hold up to a 20lb monitor so it should be able to handle a script. I had the room and don't plan to remove it so I drilled the hole.

Mine came in today. I couldn't tell from the Amazon pics whether it had a table clamp - it does - and very nice one. It's adjustable for everything from 0.25" to 3.5" - my Stage Manager was very jealous by the end of the show today - guess I'll be making a second one!

@sk8rsdad: How did you get the script and cues onto your ETC board??

I imported an image into a magic sheet and dropped some control widgets on it. Some of the buttons are for navigating to another magic sheet view with another image and duplicate controls.

Please note that adding a lot of images is a sure way to bloat your show file so use sparingly and preferably with highly compressed image formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back