A Kind Hello from Beautiful British Columbia

MrMagLit

Hey CB!

I'm not unfamiliar with viewing the forum, just new to posting and being a part of it! :)

I'd like to start with a big thanks for all that you guys have helped me with in those tough need-the-answer-at-this-exact-second moments! The forum has been a big help.

I'm a volunteer technician (not techie ;) ) at 2 theatres (700 and 550 seats respectively), the 'sound guy' for a random church (congregation of about 1400, I think), and the TD/Master Electrician at the high school I attend.

My experience is wide on both analogue and digital sound boards (Allen & Heath, Yamaha, and DiGiCo). On lighting I've gotten to use a SmartFade, an Express, and a Congo (still have no idea how the syntax works), but my heart is in Eos programming, particularly on the Ion.

I got into theatre tech as an electronics hobbyist looking to avoid getting kicked out of my arts school for not taking any arts classes... So I pretended I knew how to use the board (adorable little MixWiz 16:2) and volunteered to run sound for our next Christmas production with no experience or knowledge whatsoever. I went home and spent a week doing nothing but research, and eventually knew what every fader, pot, and button did on the mixer. I did such a good job that the Theatre Manager for the city's local roadhouse (who was in the audience) offered to train me (plush the SM and LD) at their facility and open a mentorship program. Since then I've been a volunteer tech at 2 venues, and my high school has put me in charge of the entire inventory and the tech for all future productions.

I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you, and maybe even offering some knowledge from the industry!

MrMagLit
British Columbia, Canada

Welcome to CB from a fellow BCer just alittle father north, enjoy CB and asks all the questions you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back