A Lighting Cookbook

OldGrover

Hi, all.

I did a book review in General that mentioned what I'm looking for, but I thought I'd re-ask in its own thread. I'm looking for a 'cookbook' of lighting ideas - so I get an idea what the conventions and standards are. I'm very much aware that I'll never make fine art when I do lighting - my eye isn't good enough - but I can visualize myself getting stuck without a lighting designer sometimes and want to be able to create something that, if it doesn't /enhance/ the show, at least doesn't drag it down into a horrid pit of despair. Unless that's the mood we're going for, at least.

Any suggestions for someone far more engineer then artsie?

-OG

The book that was used in my college lighting design class was Lighting and the Design Idea by Linda Essig. It covers the basic functions of lighting and the different ways to manipulate it as well as all the paperwork. It has pictures that generally include a description of what is being done lightingwise.

Does that help?

I beleive that GAM or Roseco has a "cookbook" where you choose different templates, differnet rotations, and different colors. This could be a great help for you.

Hope this helps.
Josh
OldGrover said:
Hi, all.

I did a book review in General that mentioned what I'm looking for, but I thought I'd re-ask in its own thread. I'm looking for a 'cookbook' of lighting ideas - so I get an idea what the conventions and standards are. I'm very much aware that I'll never make fine art when I do lighting - my eye isn't good enough - but I can visualize myself getting stuck without a lighting designer sometimes and want to be able to create something that, if it doesn't /enhance/ the show, at least doesn't drag it down into a horrid pit of despair. Unless that's the mood we're going for, at least.

Any suggestions for someone far more engineer then artsie?

-OG

Stage Lighting Step-By-Step By Graham Walters
Published by Betterway Books
Cincinnatti,Ohio
US$ 19.99
CAN $29.99
Available at: Barnes and Noble Booksellers

Ohh fun, what level book are you looking for?
Here's my favorites from less expert to more:

Stage Lighting Step by Step: The Complete Guide on Setting the Stage With Light to Get Dramatic Results
by Graham Walters

The Stage Lighting Handbook
by Francis Reid

A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting
by Steven Louis Shelley

Stage Lighting.
by Richard Pilbrow

Light Fantastic: The Art and Design of Stage Lighting
by Max Keller, Johannes Weiss

By far the BEST Lighting book that i have ever found is "Scenic Design and Stage Lighting" by Parker, Wolf, and Block.

Everything you will ever need is in this book...

ever...

Half is scenic design, and the other half is lighting design ( with a small, yet thourough section on sound in the middle).

It is a text book, but i got mine at Barnes and Noble for around $80 i beleive. It was the best investment i have ever made, because i learned enough to enter into a proffesional job market as a sophmore in highschool (when i started.)

HOpe this helps
Josh

Altman used to have little "Theatre guides", kinda a "Where to put our lights" series of booklets, but they may help. Lee has a pretty cool booklet on their colours and what they can be used for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back