Design A Lighting Designer's Tool Belt

Following Alex's post:
As one of those LD's that arrive in town the day before......
Always bring a copy of the plot you sent, either on paper or on your laptop. Now, I tour with a tablet PC so I can turn my screen around and lay it flat. I usually do focus with the laptop having my cad program open. A second tool that I cannot live without is my lazer pointer! It's so much eaiser to "show" what I'm talking about in terms of where I see a shadow I want to fix, or where to shutter cut to, ect...

Last edited:
Following Alex's post:
As one of those LD's that arrive in town the day before......
Always bring a copy of the plot you sent, either on paper or on your laptop. Now, I tour with a tablet PC so I can turn my screen around and lay it flat. I usually do focus with the laptop having my cad program open. A second tool that I cannot live without is my lazer pointer! It's so much eaiser to "show" what I'm talking about in terms of where I see a shadow I want to fix, or where to shutter cut to, ect...

OH! I LOVE my laser pointer!!

Okay, make that two essential things! A headset and a laser pointer. Good call!!

As far as the LD being around during hang, when I work at a large regional theater with a full time staff and IATSE technicians, then I usually drop in for a few minutes on hang day if I can (you would be surprised how often even large regional theaters don't have the right gobo, right color, etc), but in that situation I would be much more at ease not being there. In any case if I am there, I am just there to answer questions not to poke or change things. But it does put me at ease to drop by. That is the way I was taught. I also like an ME to come out during intermission to ask me if I need anything. That is just me. Your mileage may vary. If I don't have the lights in the right place by hang, I shouldn't be a designer. I never change anything, I am only there to answer questions. It also depends on if I know the ME. I know some MEs will call me at proper times and with questions and I know that there are some that will think they can figure out what I want and so they end up having to rehang/recolor things that were done wrong. Also not all MEs have your good design sense. I even had one ME "rough focus" a complete plot without asking because he thought he knew where stuff went. It added at least a couple of hours to the focus. I am sure if I designed at your theater I would have nothing to worry about (except germs on the headset), but I think ME's like you are the exception rather than the rule (at least down here). It is always good however to see someone who does a good job.

Mike

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back