a little outdated

benchman

hey there... just finished reading a post and adding to it only to realize that it was all a couple of years old... my bad. that being said... i've just finished an install in a venue about 10,00sqft...with a trim of around 18ft. the main stage that will be used for live bands is 32 x 20ft with a trim of about 15ft and the wrestling ring has a truss of 26ft x 26ft with a trim from the ring surface of around 15ft. on the main stage i'm using 8 elation designe pro 250's 10 chauvet legend 4500's, 36 microh 80watt pars, 12 Adj par56 CWWW, and eight Adj theatrix pro 48 bars... along with a couple more fx pieces and two moving head foggers by Adj. after the initial test all involved were blown away with the entire setup. what was trying to be achieved was a smaller version of a large arena concert enviourment... and we efficiently achieved it. it looks awesome. would i make these same choices on a larger format environment? absolutely not... did it work with this size set up? it more then met our expectations. on the ring we use 24 microh 80 watt rgb pars, 4 chauvet legend 4500, 24 Adj propar56CWWW and a couple of fx fixtures. the Adj pro par56 CWWW fell short on the wrestling ring but only because of the camera's need for the proper k. if it was strictly for the live audience it would have been more then effective. it looked very cool. my point is this. i know there are a lot of large venue,theater, concert, and film guys out there who need massive fixtures capable of throwing lights well into the solar system and all that, and that's cool as well, but for anyone dealing with smaller format venues, theaters and such you definitely don't need the $10,000 led fixtures or MHF's to pull it off. and the quality of the fixtures being offered by Adj/elation, chauvet and others have made leaps and bounds in the past few years addressing stepping and such, to bring them into the realm of possibility for smaller productions to achieve professional results. in this capacity i think that led technology and less expensive intelligent fixtures have definenty hit their mark and far exceeds the abilities, ease of use, and functionality of it's older incandescent cousins. for these types of installations, for me, they win hands down. i might add... the show is also using the new elation show designer3 lighting console which in my opinion is an extremely competent board for this application as well. and at a third of the cost of other boards like the hog which hear would have been like using a rocket launcher to kill an ant. i've run into this alot on other forums and i myself am guity of it... i've found myself telling guys that if they don't spend 10,000 bucks on their next mike preamp that there buying sub standard junk. when in reality for what their needs were the 1,000 dollar one would have done just fine. let's face it. it's all relevant to the job at hand. if your doing the next cat's production in a 50,000sqft room with a 50ft trim your going to need a little more then just a 50watt led can. but if your doing a rock band or a small theater production that 50watt led can is just what the doctor ordered and offers a very flexible alternative as well as huge cost saving and ease of setup over dimmers and bulbs ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back