A magenta, orange and teal ceiling.

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Have a condo with in the current room of decoration about 14' peaked ceiling between the living room and dining room. Overall area is about 18x40. Living room has a kiddie corner fire place and sliding door on the far end with a L-shaped from sliding door to end of living room book case on the other side. Fireplace wall is sort or a hunter green with the rest of the walls sort of a lime green. (Wife designed the color choices all by herself and for the most part painted it all by herself)

Ceiling though, my wife would like in concept magenta orange and teal. There is no real overhead lighting in the room. .

So far lighting for the ceiling is mounted on top of the like 20' x 3' L-shaped book shelf wall and controlled by a 600w household dimmer. I will probably add a boom on the opposing fire place wall in the center between rooms to supplement this location currently providing short throw and limited angle. All split duplx outlets in the rooms are powered by one circuit on a switch controlled now by dimmer, the other duplex lower outlet by non-dim power on a seperate circuit.
Short of resetting the VCR every time you shut off the lights.. good thing the lower outlet is live power, the upper outlet dimmer/switchced power for the room. Given this its threeway switched, but given three gang box the dimmer is in, not something I can realistically add higher than a 600w dimmer to. Just cannot short of snipping of cooling fins in reducing wattage, add a larger dimmer, much less three way higher wattage dimmers are very espensive and rare in type.

Current lighting inventory for the living room and dining room ceiling is three 35w 3" Fresnel, one 50w R-14, one 75w Kliegl 1341 3.5Q5 and one 75w Kliegl 1341 3.5Q6. I’ll probably pick up two Altman Q-Light fixtures from work soon and lamp them down to like 100w to better wash the ceiling and perhaps a two more inkies to help. All have shutters or top hats available.

Maximum wattage for the household installed wall dimmer that will control the ceiling is 600w and it’s not really possible to go larger short of two circuit that wouldn’t be as easy to control or be very difficult to re-wire for. At 505 Watts now in thinking the Q-Lights would be a good thing to do, could go with two more inkies , one at 35w and one at 50w for a longer throw. Or mix the ceiling, loose the R-14 say in less efficient and boost the output of a second inkie. Lots of play room in wattage of above fixtures and ways to get to the goal in lamping fixtures limieted to the maximum wattage.

Overall goal at this point is to have a living room ceiling washed in magenta with say the area of the central living room (also white) fan spotted in orange, the dining room now washed in teal with an orange spot on its own suspended multi-lamp brass fixture for what its worth or given more focused punch for what I can do in making it orange also from the center of the room from both sides in source in fixture hanging from an orange center that beat out the teal wash.

Simple enough, wash the living room ceiling in magenta and dining room with teal, two Q-lights and a few extra inkies and if available Lekos to help or say with the 3.5Q5 to project a longer throw wash say for the opposing angle for the teal with what is left for the inkies supplementing the magenta I think. Book shelf is like 72" high with normal 8' ceilings towards the lower sides of the peak. Hard part is the request for given this wash of light, how to make for an orange spotlighting say for both the area of the dropped lighting fixtures and as a goal to make a sort of orange dot that will beat out the teal wash on the ceiling above the dining room drop fixture?

First assuming say a 50w inkie focused on the living room fan from the same location as that of the magenta wash light, - say on the boom base in location, a 50w inkie should with some color of orange out punch and make the living room fan orange if supplemented from an opposing one or two locations along it from other 35w orange inkies. No doubt the orange spill on the ceiling would be washed out by the majenta. Or is there a better wash gel color for majenta I should use or a better orange color assuming from one source the wash in color correcting for red in it I should use and say for two other inkies, a differnt color of gel yet better in popping the fan in orange yet with a magenta coloring if even washed out some with the spill? Primary goal is to make the fan pop orange I think and deal with spill.

Same question on given a teal wash to the other ceiling, how to wash that brass fixture or as a goal for say the ceiling around it in orange dot, say with the 3.5Q6 in smaller beam, it to be orange dot against the teal ceiling? Assuming a teal wash, what should the gel for the spotlight be for making an orange dot against it in color mixing it? This part more feasible perhaps to do well but in also plotting out the maximum wattage and types of fixtures in the inventory. Assuming say a 3.5Q5 from one side and like 90 degrees from the other side a 35w inkie with tophat, what gel for each that in using the teal wash will make for a orange circle on the ceiling about the ceiling? (Me color blind, the heck in general concept of that color is that color anyway? How do I mix it with gel to make for an orange?)

Ok. Color mixing gel and given say throw distances, locations to mount them, and fixture types but an open budget for gelling them. Looking for ideas here before I just punt in something that’s very difficult.

TBA also is for that Meteor ProBeam fixture (powered seperately) I just finished cleaning and lamping up to 150w EZK lamp or perhaps a more powerful up to 400w lamp. Rotator for it in dual cross lightning is shot but in curious focus techniques for it, it can do say an A' sized gobo or was that a C' sized small like 1.5" gobo. Thinking white or perhaps even magenta projected on the teal ceiling might be better yet. Could go higher wattage and no doubt get a white/pink normal white light without gel projection on the ceiling, or color correct against teal to get white light. What gel would best fight a teal to get back to white light? Otherwise if going for a more subdued magenta against the teal celiling pattern projection, what gel would on gel get me magenta?

Simplication, say three point for the living room magenta ceiling with say three points to project from orange as a goal ceiling fan and hopefully hotspot center, orange, any changes over amount of fixtures in orange pointed towards it to make what in wash from a direction become orange? Any color correction for the fixture from the angle of the magenta to make it from that angle in that center focus be more of an orange or washed out sort of magenta/orange in wash?

Assuming that same location fixture, magenta for the wash, what to color correct to punch up from the same location to be orange color change in making it orange?

Same concept on the teal. If say I add another fixture to light the spot focus on the ceiling in being orange from the location of that boom from the opposing wall that washes the ceiling in teal, how shold I color correct for it? Much less as opposed to the opposing angles from the wash in base color, what choice should I choose for the opposing wash in making it orange against the teal ceiling?

Serious color mixing extremes here I think in fighting against each other in making pop what's harsh angle and limited in wattage overall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back