A new guy from Australia

Reqel

Hey I'm Dave
I'm from Melbourne, Australia
I'm a student working in all the productions that come up at my school. I really enjoy it.
I am aspiring to be a lighting tech, but I help out with anything and absolutely everything at my school
On a side not, I also play hockey
cheers
-Dave

Welcome to the Booth Dave! We have several regulars here from Oz who are a little odd. It's best to ignore the one named Hughesie, the boy is obsessed with eating cute small animals, he thinks the metric system sucks, and he's also very much against 220 voltage. :shock: Weird huh? I hope you represent your country better than he does in this fabulous international community. ;)

Hockey Eh? Cool. I didn't know you played hockey down there. Given the generally warm climate that's a little surprising. Although if they can build a indoor ski resort in Saudi Arabia... what's a few ice rinks.

Well welcome, get to know the search function, there are unbelievable amounts of information in the archives. The only dumb question is the one that's been asked three times already. Have fun and be careful, this place is addicting.

How's that Logos? Doing my best to liven things up a little.

Last edited:
Sorry I should have explained it better.

I play field hockey, forgot about the other types, although I have tried the other variants, to varied success.

May I ask what is wrong with 220 voltage? Or don't I want to open that can of worms?

Keep it in mind that I know hardly anything about the technology of theatre, but thats why I joined ControlBooth

Anyway thanks for the introduction

May I ask what is wrong with 220 voltage? Or don't I want to open that can of worms?

Don't worry I've already opened the can for you... it's just a matter of time until he wakes up and finds this thread. :twisted:

You'll learn all kinds of great stuff here so ask away. We also like to have fun here too.

Hughesie and I are both from down Melbourne way.

Welcome to the booth. :)

Hockey Eh? Cool. I didn't know you played hockey down there. Given the generally warm climate that's a little surprising. Although if they can build a indoor ski resort in Saudi Arabia... what's a few ice rinks.
How's that Logos? Doing my best to liven things up a little.

Welcome to the booth Dave, I'm from Adelaide and if you weren't from Victoria I'd be really happy to see you. Now if you will excuse me for a moment I need to speak severely to Gafftaper.

OK that interesting game you call Hockey was developed from the real game field hockey and it might just interest you to know that in recent years Australia have been the world champions in this form of the game at least as often as they haven't been. Possibly even more often. Both in mens and womens versions of the game.
We do have ice rinks and we do have ice hockey and I do know who Wayne Gretsky is; I just don't care.

Keep it up Gaff and we might be able to start another great fight.

Oh and Dave, it's not that I've got anything against Victorians, it's just that you are ... well ... Victorians.

The aussie's are fighting? Great, now we can go back to obsessing about old lighting fixtures.

The Aussies are fighting! :dance: SWEET! I'll run down to the green room and make Popcorn!

Adelaide?

Whats in Adelaide? last time I was there was with the scout Jamboree in 2003 or sometime near it.

The population doubled with 12000 little kiddies running around and the like.

What weapons can us Aussies use against each other?

Ill throw Steve Bracks at you

(for those that dont know, Steve Bracks was the premier (a politician) of victoria)

feel the burn of the politician

hahaha

Me throwing Steve Bracks at Logos means I'm from melbourne

Last edited:
Feild Hockey Ha !
Give me a good old game of Cherokee stick ball, Thousands of brave warriors, duking it out for days on end just to throw aball at a wooden fish mounted ontop of a 20 foot pole! broken bones, concusions, severe head trauma Now that's a sport! :mrgreen:

Welcome Aboard Dave!
Don't let Gaff corupt you. He'll attempt to draw you into some squabble that will only end in an Austrailian civil war. :rolleyes:
Good to have you here. ask a lot of questions, answer what you can and above all have a lot of fun.

Cherokee Stick Ball sounds ......... interesting/painful. the closest modern thing I could think of that relates to the aforementioned "game" is Rugby Union. Thats a good game to watch game. None of this padding you Americans are so fond of!! :lol:

Oh how I have missed these little domestics we have so much engaging in ;)

I'd like it on record that I too despise 220v. I am however much in favour of a voltage system of 230v +10% -6%, after transition becoming 230v +-10%, as per IEC 60038. That means we will play nice with Euro stuff in good time... Now all we need is for those charming people operating on half voltage to catch up and change over to 50 Hz as well... At least we are all starting to use the same plugs - IEC standard 60309 "ceeform".

I'm sure there is an IEC standard that use the METRIC system... Oh wait, let's think about it's REAL name: Système International d'Unités literally INTERNATIONAL system of units

I suppose I can be nice to a Mexican... if I have to... Just don't make me start throwing our pollies into the ring [shudder]...

But aside from out little debates which are always fun, we do tend to make sure we occasionally talk about useful things, it might be intertwined into the debates so it's worth it to keep reading those (see, you read those things not just for us taking the piss out of each other...) So have a look around, try not to ask the same question as too many others have and you should learn a lot...

Adelaide?
Whats in Adelaide? last time I was there was with the scout Jamboree in 2003 or sometime near it.
The population doubled with 12000 little kiddies running around and the like.
What weapons can us Aussies use against each other?
Ill throw Steve Bracks at you
(for those that dont know, Steve Bracks was the premier (a politician) of victoria)
feel the burn of the politician
hahaha
Me throwing Steve Bracks at Logos means I'm from melbourne

I will trump your Steve Bracks with an amanda vanstone. She was from SA and was twice his size and twicw his charisma. But in the ned mate well youre ... Victorian.

I don't really mean it, it's all in fun and we will of course all leap upon any unprotected throat of an American who attacks us collectively and then go back to bickering over his bloody carcase.

I will trump your Steve Bracks with an amanda vanstone. She was from SA and was twice his size and twicw his charisma. But in the ned mate well youre ... Victorian.

I don't really mean it, it's all in fun and we will of course all leap upon any unprotected throat of an American who attacks us collectively and then go back to bickering over his bloody carcase.

I'm sorry but I believe that Ms. Vanstone is somewhat otherwise occupied as the Australian ambassador to Italy at this time...

<Oh and Dave, it's not that I've got anything against Victorians, it's just that you are ... well ... Victorians.>

Not to get too involved in this fray- I must admit that VB was one of the better bitters I had while taking a holiday down under, years ago. And Surfer's Paradise was certainly that!!!

Chris is alive! Haven't seen you posting around here in a while big guy.

Hey Hughesie, looks like all we needed to do to attract some new members and wake up some old ones was to start a minor Aussie Civil War. Thanks for sacrificing your country so that the Booth can grow!

I'm sorry but I believe that Ms. Vanstone is somewhat otherwise occupied as the Australian ambassador to Italy at this time...

And I believe that Steve Bracks has vanished into whatever black hole retired pollies go to die.

<Oh and Dave, it's not that I've got anything against Victorians, it's just that you are ... well ... Victorians.>
Not to get too involved in this fray- I must admit that VB was one of the better bitters I had while taking a holiday down under, years ago. And Surfer's Paradise was certainly that!!!

Surfer's is in Queensland Keith which opens up an entrely new can of worms relating to interstate rivalries, I do admit however to the liking for an occasional VB although my favourite Aus beer is Boags. (From Tasmania)

VB is terrible. Boags is alright.

Crown Lager or Carlton Draught are the way to go. Beez Neez or Corona with lemon if I'm in an exciting mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back