A new HS theatre under construction

Here's a clip showing (half) of rear wall. The defocusing scallops are in the background.

upload_2019-4-25_13-31-35.png

Ceiling stores in loft - under the modified gridiron/stage catwalks. It comes close to using all of the "shadow" of the catwalks, the basis of the modified grid. The towers nest and store in a notch up stage center. See in the plan - to right - a few posts above.

1. I still can't believe that high schools (except for maybe a couple of ritzy private ones, that is) can and do afford theatre plants like this. I just hope that they also provide ongoing budget for equipment and staff comparable to the building.

They tripled staff for this - from 0.1 to 0.3 position.

I think they are committed to keeping it in good shape.

Above average public school auditorium and stage? Sure. It's what they wanted and they did get top-notch gyms and stadiums first. And when I look at schools built in the 20s and 30s, they wanted good auditoriums and stages. What happened in the 50s and 60s I don't know - but theatre planning suffered a lot and it has a lasting impact - the schools that many of today's architects and school admin grew up in.

I love reading your posts about these projects @BillConnerFASTC.
Why thank you. I wish I was better with photos and posting more projects. This one is a little special as result of getting to know school folk better than most projects. I figure as work load decreases - no longer accepting new work (Wait? $100 million dollars? Well maybe) I hope to have more time to write.

Why thank you. I wish I was better with photos and posting more projects. This one is a little special as result of getting to know school folk better than most projects. I figure as work load decreases - no longer accepting new work (Wait? $100 million dollars? Well maybe) I hope to have more time to write.

I'd hope you continue to write and publish, Bill. You are one of a very few "theater consultants" who doesn't appear to be a shill for the architects.

As an audio systems engineer and designer I understand consultant desires to stay out of the details of main sound systems (and you provide valuable insight into the auxiliary systems like DR page, green room, lobby, etc feed) but I want to invite you to the Pro Sound Web "Live Audio Board" forum where there is a current discussion about a theater renovation and equipment selection. There have been a number of comments (including mine) about audio - and to a lesser extent, LX - getting thrown under the bus during construction and blaming various consultants, architects and short-sighted "committees" that care more about the exterior than functioning for intended purposes. Or you could enjoy your retirement ;).

@BillConnerFASTC , good to hear of your plan to write more, but is there a book or two in your future? Either "For Dummies" book or better yet, something like a Focal Press book (with lots of photos and drawings).

@TimMc , yeah that PSW thread is interesting. I do have to wonder about the types of consultants involved. To my way of thinking there is a big difference between independent consultants and dealers who consult.

Hearing and seeing the performers are the highest priorities and fortunately close proximity of audience and performers is fundamental to that.

Doing final check - well supposed to be but too much not complete so will come back for true final and more photos. Just one from this trip.

190824 photo.jpg

Doing final check - well supposed to be but too much not complete so will come back for true final and more photos. Just one from this trip.

View attachment 18374
@BillConnerFASTC The DSC area of the deck, the portion that appears darker in your photo, is this an elevator, or??
I'm seeing what appears to be a standard height door in the USL corner, what is the purpose of the taller, wider, door immediately on-stage of it and does this larger door close and, if so, how???
What's the purpose of the MUCH larger opening USC????
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

No lift. Pit filler with different hardboard. Was all painted a few hours after photo.

Double door sound and light lock usl; 10 x 16 roll up doors - 2 in tandem - for loading (both controls inside so to close both, your stuck! That will get fixed.) Orchestra shell tower storage niche in center .

The toll up doors are usually not very good for noise but these are rated for hurricanes - a happy discovery - and are pretty good for reducing noise transmission.

I'll paste a plan when I get back late this week. (Passing by you on the 401!)

No lift. Pit filler with different hardboard. Was all painted a few hours after photo.

Double door sound and light lock usl; 10 x 16 roll up doors - 2 in tandem - for loading (both controls inside so to close both, your stuck! That will get fixed.) Orchestra shell tower storage niche in center .

The toll up doors are usually not very good for noise but these are rated for hurricanes - a happy discovery - and are pretty good for reducing noise transmission.

I'll paste a plan when I get back late this week. (Passing by you on the 401!)

What kind of fixture/lighting is inside the proscenium arch? LED tape?

What kind of fixture/lighting is inside the proscenium arch? LED tape?
@BillConnerFASTC A few years ago (perhaps ten by now), the city / town of Bramalea chose to build a new PAC IMMEDIATELY adjacent to a busy railway track in steady use by both of our national railroads. Dual redundant, electrically operated roll up doors were installed per their architects specs and similar to what you're describing. The result wasn't flawless but was easily going to be workable as long as they cleared trucks and trailers out and closed both doors.
Come to think of it, they may have had four doors; two docks next to each other with two doors per dock.
Thanks for you replies.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back