Control/Dimming A Question for ETC Ion Owners

zorlack

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question for anyone out there with an ETC Ion or Eos.

Does your console have a fixture profile for a Intellabeam HX700 in 13Channel Mode?

I'm looking at buying an ION and am just curious if it has the right profile built in. I played around with the offline editor and it seemed to have a 8channel version for the IBeam. But I'm not sure if that's because it's an old version of the software or not.

Anyone have any experience creating fixture profiles in the ION? How was it?

Thanks!

-Z

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question for anyone out there with an ETC Ion or Eos.

Does your console have a fixture profile for a Intellabeam HX700 in 13Channel Mode?

I'm looking at buying an ION and am just curious if it has the right profile built in. I played around with the offline editor and it seemed to have a 8channel version for the IBeam. But I'm not sure if that's because it's an old version of the software or not.

Anyone have any experience creating fixture profiles in the ION? How was it?

Thanks!

-Z

They did not have a 13ch profile when I used the console back in december and had to build my own. It was an exercise in outsmarting the console, and by far the worst experience I had programming with it. I loved the console except for the ML profile editor part - it sucked compared to the ease and simplicity of the Obsession. The number of useless traits that you have to scroll through in order to find some of the ones that I had to use to build various profiles is nuts. I didn't even take time to make any frame tables because it was fighting me so hard. But that's just my opinion.

I also found the strobe channel to be a bit glitchy when controlled by an ION. Values that worked on an Obsession didn't work on the ION.

Other than that, I loved the console, and made this sucker with the intellabeams:

According to our friends out in Middleton, WI you are better off not worrying with the profile construction. You can e-mail them and they will send you a file you can load via a thumb drive.

Great question! I wonder if a list of built-in fixture personalities, as well as a list of downloadable ones, is (or should be) somewhere on ETC's website?;)

There is not one for EOS/ION yet. Only for Express/Expression and Obsession. Unless I'm blind, which has happened before.

Great question! I wonder if a list of built-in fixture personalities, as well as a list of downloadable ones, is (or should be) somewhere on ETC's website?;)

If you download the EOS/Ion Client then one of the things installed is \Program Files\ETC\Eos\Documentation\FixtureReleaseNotes.pdf which appears to list all the installed personalities.

I am absolutley biased about this, but I found the Fixture editor/creator pretty easy to use. You do have to scroll through a lot of attributes in certain modes, but otherwise, it was pretty easy to build a fixture. Now, getting specific fixtures to have the correct DMX timing structure is an entirely different matter.... :)

It's a joy to program on, no doubt. Using movers and scrollers in a theatrical context is actually pleasant now. The pageable encoders alone make it a very nice console, let alone the preset/pallete controls. Almost everything's straightforward, and that which isn't (show control, file manipulation) at least isn't egregiously frustrating. And coming off an Express 24/48, patching intelligent fixtures is a dream within a dream...

As a very wise man once said, "Aw hells yeah."

does the ion/eos have a personality building program installed on the console itself, or is it like the separate program - the personality editor from ETC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back