A reminder -

TimMc

Premium Member
February 20 will be the 20th anniversary of The Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island that killed 100 and injured over 200 more.

Make sure you know the closest exit to your work station or space, don't assume it's unlocked or unchained or that there are no obstructions on the other side that would prevent you from opening the door or making a safe exit. Don't fight fires, don't stop to grab your backpack or anything else. GET OUT.

Have a safety plan - among other things have a daily manifest of your staff /cast/ crew in the club, meeting room, auditorium, etc. Have a rally point outside where all of you will gather for a head count and to identify anyone not present so you can relay the info to authorities. Never leave the rally point until everyone is accounted for in some way (or acknowledged as missing) unless it becomes unsafe to remain or you are ordered to move by authorities. Have a list of crew/worker cell phone numbers, too.

Most of folks who die in fires are not killed by flames or heat, but by the toxic gasses in smoke that come from combustion of bulding materials, decor, and furnishings. At The Station, a combination of 1) people trying to leave via the entrance; 2) emergency exits chained shut and; 3) gasses from burning polyester foam and other materials incapacitated patrons before they could effect an exit resulted in 300+ lives forever changed or gone in just a few minutes.

There is a Y-T video from a Rhode Island TV station of the exterior, and in it you can hear the screams of those unable to get out. If you watch it and it doesn't change your life and outlook on safety... I don't know what will.

"Nobody should have to die for a good time.®"

You're not wrong...

but if I'm sitting at my laptop and my backpack is next to me, I'm shovin' it in there and grabbing; even the labor to restore a laptop is significant.

Next to me is as far as I'll stretch that, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back