A Rigging Death Trap

If it's maintained, a hemp system is just as safe. The place I'm at has a hemp system, and it's lovingly maintained. I haven't been up to the pin rail to see it, just 'cause rigging isn't my specialty, so I have no business up there.

Then again, we just use the battens for electrics; not enough fly space for scenery.

Yes, they are indeed "Crosbys" (hey, I learned a new term). Some of them are backwards (the whole don't put a saddle on a dead horse reminder), though. For something permanent, I would think it should be crimped.

There are plenty of permanent installs where crosbys are used. There is nothing wrong with this practice. You are correct though that they should all be aligned the same direction and there is a proper direction, which I will speak no further of so that people don't go trying things they shouldn't. Using a swaging tool and fittings is just another way to do it, and can have just as many things go wrong.

I know hemps are still prevalent, but the safety of one that is probably 60-80 years old, with doubtable inspection? Plus it would take an old school rigger to operate it.

It doesn't take an old school rigger to run a hemp system, it just takes training. Which is the same for any fly system. The operators need to be trained in the proper operation of the system. If maintained properly, it doesn't matter how old the system is.

Perhaps I am being a little too paranoid though, thanks for your wise words, Icewolf.

As I said before, it doesn't hurt to have some fear/paranoia as long as you use it to your advantage and you don't let it hold you back. If it pushes to to seek out proper training or supervision, have regular maintenance and systems checks done then you are in good shape. On the other hand, if all you let yourself think about is how dangerous rigging can be and you decide to never do it or learn about it you are holding yourself back. It could be harmful to you if you intend to pursue a career in this industry (unless you want to design/build costumes).

This director fellow definitely needs to be reminded that gravity isn't just a good idea, it's the law....

I've been told before, by customers, that they're 'just' a school theater, and therefore they don't need to worry about this or that. It's an OK justification for doing Les Miz with two chairs and a table, only owning twelve fixtures, or some other scale-related idea, but not for safety. I've fielded the 'We're doing Peter Pan, and thought we'd go down to the hardware store and get a bunch of stuff..." phone calls, and my response is always the same - "No. No. Nonononono. N. O. No." It's one thing for paid professionals with proper training to take known risks, it's a much different ball of wax for someone to take chances with the lives of other people's children. The situation you're in is where you start documenting everything, what happened, when, what was done, what he said about it. Keep a diary, both as evidence, and for your own protection. I hope you never need to refer to the diary in court, but you will probably need it when talking to the school board.

Most of the arbor issues (weights on lock collars, spreaders trapped at the bottom) you mentioned are things that could be easily rectified in a long work session, just putting things to rights. The rope splinters you mentioned tells me that the operating lines are natural fiber ropes. These, in general, are considered to have about a ten year usable life span, and should then be replaced. If they're shedding splinters, they're probably much older than that, and are past due. Old ropes tend to be significantly weaker tan new, and often have thin spots, which would explain some of your rope lock problems, since a lock set for a thick portion won't properly grip a thin portion. At this point, you're probably on borrowed time before an operating line breaks, and you have a runaway on your hands.

I'm reminded of someone I met at a Glerum/Donovan rigging seminar, a school TD who'd been getting resistance about buying new operating lines. He finally got them after every single rope was mysteriously cut one night, in a random act of vandalization.... Fortunately, the administration was a good sport about it, and they didn't look too hard for a culprit to press charges against. *

Something that should happen sooner rather than later is a full inspection. Most stage rigging contractors offer inspection and reporting (I've heard $1,500 plus travel from a couple places), and they'll go to bat for you to convince the administration to correct safety issues. If the school doesn't want to spend that amount, ask them how much they think the medical bills from an accident might cost. They may drag their feet even so, since once a report is on paper, they're legally aware of the problems, and are that much more exposed to liability if they don't fix them. In that case, turn up the heat even more.

* Do not try this at home... this was the person responsible for the system permanently disabling it until repairs could be made. The 'vandalism' subterfuge was his political tactic to circumvent a budgeting stalemate.

Last edited:
Just want to point out that my year old black box has a nice little sandbag and pin rail rigging system. It's not hemp it's modern synthetics, but it's a VERY useful system. I also know several theaters that have a full fly system but also have small pin rails located part way up. There are Many wonderful ways to use these tie off positions that will ALWAYS be relevant, no matter how old fashioned the technology. Yes you need to maintain them and have good ropes. No I wouldn't advise using them instead of a counterweight system. However when a trained person uses a properly maintained old fashioned pin rail/sand bag system it's a beautiful thing.

I also know several theaters that have a full fly system but also have small pin rails located part way up. There are Many wonderful ways to use these tie off positions that will ALWAYS be relevant, no matter how old fashioned the technology.
The theatre I'm at now opened seven years ago and has pin rails on each side of the stage 20' off the deck in addition to 33 single purchase linesets. It may be old school, but it still has its place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back