a seemingly simple task

foeglass

I am working on a design for God Committee in a small Black Box Theatre.
The director would like the white board that is referenced many times and Written on- to float, as there are no walls for it to hang on.

Keeping in Mind this is a Small Theatre hitting most traces of suspension are the issue- along with it being stable enough to write on without it wobbling around every where.

Any suggestions would be very very helpful :)

You could suspend it from your grid then run 2 or so 2x4s US from the center of the unit to a wall if you have a wall near by.

Overall though, if you want it to float, be perfectly stable, and be able to write on it without moving, you are asking to defy physics without some hard element attaching it to the space.

There will be cabinetry next too it. Perhaps we could hide stablizing 2x4s by attaching it to the cabinets.
Thank you! :)

Thats really going to be the trick. Its an old magicians trick to run extremely strong steel US into soft goods to make things "levitate".

............Overall though, if you want it to float, be perfectly stable, and be able to write on it without moving, you are asking to defy physics without some hard element attaching it to the space.

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
- A. H. Weiler

A QOTD from my Homepage this morning, I thought it was apropois.

How about running a couple of strips of 1/2" Acrylic, or poly-carb behind the white board. Or perhaps a couple of jacks made from 1/4" acrylic. Just spit balling....

Last edited:
A couple of ideas

You could use a peppers ghost mirror setup but it might be difficult to hid the person off stage who would be doing the writing

I did a project once for an illusionist and with a very well designed peppers ghost well rehearsed the entire person doing the writing etc was in fact off stage and the only thing on stage was the ghost image. Took some time and good mirrors etc, but some very famous appearing disappearing acts have been doing this way

I would also look at a screen that looked like a white board that was suspended with light wire and then have a video of the writing on the board be projected as thought the person was in fact writing on the board

if you can have a background that is black and you use black suspension wires and you are careful how you light it your supports will be very hard to see

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back