A Stage Apart

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
ControlBooth.com is going to start putting together materials for future lecture and workshop series, tentatively called, "A Stage Apart".
We are going to setting up specific topics that some drama teachers have asked us about doing.
So, starting out:
Lectures:
  • [[Technical Theatre Organization Best Practices]]
  • [[Design Workflow]]
  • [[Inventory Management]]
Workshops:
  • Creating a Light Plot
  • Designing Sound Cues
  • Multimedia Projection
  • Wireless Frequency Selection
  • Creating a Sound “Image” (stereo speaker installation required)

Last edited:
Not sure about the "designing a light plot" maybe something along the lines of "creating a light plot"

Designing a light plot sounds like we are teaching them how to design, while creating a light plot sounds like you are going to give them the tools to make their design reality.

Good call, that's what I meant :)

Bump.

What is this? It sounds like a good idea.

It's an old initiative that I had back before the wiki got really big. I'd love to see it be picked up again.

What happened to this? Would be good to see it starting to happen. Dave?

Bump. Is this project still in the works? I remember seeing it back when I first joined and it seemed like a really great idea. Set up a portion of the website specifically devoted to getting new high school tech programs up and running, with just the basics about safety issues and how to put on a simple show. Maybe eventually develop some videos (similar to the ETC and Apollo instructional videos) with just basic how-to stuff. I'd be happy to contribute in whatever way I can.

I'd be willing to help also. In fact I have a set of basic stuff I used for the volunteers on a show. I'll see if I can find that and post it... though it will need some editing because it was for a specific show.

Bump. (again!)
Are we going to try and get this started again? It would be nice. Easier than trying to find all the different things using search. Then, if someone has a specific question about something on here, they can ask it in the forum? Unless I am missing it and it is in another Collaborative Article.

I agree that this would be a great resource for students as well as anyone who wants to learn how to do something or how something works. It would be great to compile all sorts of videos from sound to lights to whatever else into one easy to find area.

I made a video last summer of how a lighting system works, only thing with that is that I used a student edition of Autodesk Maya for it so I'm not 100% sure what I can do with it. I believe (don't quote me on this) that as long as I don't use the things I've made with the student edition that I can do basically whatever I want with them. I can look into it if people are interested.

This may be something that could go into another set of how to videos. But if possible good STUDENT orientated Vectorworks tutorials.

Students (including high school students) can get a copy a educational copy of vectorworks for free, but there are FEW good resources on how to use this incredible product (or at least that I have found). I know that this would be a HUGE time investment but wow would it be useful for so many people (including myself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back