a SWEET way to use iPod

LDSFX

So I got my iPod photo yesterday and was planning to use it for my tunes, along with family photos, but then I had a revealtion: Why not upload all of my gobo catalogs and store them digitally? I tried it out with Rosco breakups and it works beautifully. No more will I need to carry around my show binder filled with gobo catalogs. Now all I have to do is slide up next to the director and clickity-click-click: "How's this gobo for the top of Act 2?" Just thought I'd let you know of this great way to make use of a common device.

I'm curious why you have the director approve template choices. Normally that's a decision left entirely up to the LD, who, having discussed general design concepts with the director, then gets approval for the look he creates onstage using the templates during the levels period of tech rehearsals.

Andy, that is usually true,unless you're still in a High School program run by a control freak director.

ya exactly... our technical director cant get a word in edgewise past the director and her best friend who does the props. Neather can any of us students. We have to do really stupid things alot of times b/c we have to do what they say, but usualy we just do one rehersal with stuff like we think it should be, then we keep it like that unless she figures it out and tells us to chage a specific few things back.

anyways, back on subject, yes that sounds like a neet idea, although I would probably just do that on my laptop. Could I ask what you are actually showing her? are they just image files? If so, where did you get them?

I must say, that is one of the more brilliant things i have heard.

To go even further:

If you have access to (and have time to do this), you might want to think about taking a picture (or finding them online) of how each color looks hitting either like the stage or a peice of white card. I am not sure about the quality of the photographs on the ipod photo, but that might be a good idea too. You would have every color on hand to see how each looks.

hmm...

Josh

sounds like a great idea! I might give it a try with my palm...

too bad i dont have an iPod photo only a regular 40gb 4g

In answer to your question. I creat a folder for the iPod to synch to (i.e. Rosco Breakups). Then I open my web browser and the Rosco Breakups folder side-by-side. Then I can just drag and drop all of the files in. Now all I have to do is plug in the iPod and voila! It automatically exports all of the pictures in their respective folders to the iPod. In reagrds to Andy, I like have gobo swatches available to be able to talk with set designers and in some cases (as avkid said) control freak directors. It also give me something to do while teching another show.

LDSFX said:
In answer to your question. I creat a folder for the iPod to synch to (i.e. Rosco Breakups). Then I open my web browser and the Rosco Breakups folder side-by-side. Then I can just drag and drop all of the files in. Now all I have to do is plug in the iPod and voila! It automatically exports all of the pictures in their respective folders to the iPod. In reagrds to Andy, I like have gobo swatches available to be able to talk with set designers and in some cases (as avkid said) control freak directors. It also give me something to do while teching another show.

LDSFX is running a mac..... Gota love drag and drop. :)

I knew it! I converted five, soon to be six, friends to mac. Four of them were hard core "I'll never use a mac" types...

Lets just say I'm waiting for my 18th birthday so I can get a job at the Apple store.

I came across this a while ago, but apparently this company is developing Podwrite which is a way of syncing your show from lightwrite form to your iPod. Just imagine, you have your entire show paperwork on your iPod!

Now, the website said this would come out over a year ago, but, if this ended up happening, that would be really cool!

you can also download the rosco online swatchbook and put that on your ipod photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back