ac extension cords

EdKaz

Is it possible to make a multi-tap ac extension cord ?
What I am trying to do is add female outlets (120 volt) along a 12/3 sjoow wire. The wire runs along a long section of truss and would like to custom place the ac plugs. I know that you can buy a multi-tap molded cord but, the outlets are not where I would like them. What I looking for is something that would support 2 - 12/3 wires (in/out). Just wondering how the big guys do it...Thanks for any help

proxy.php

Maybe not what your looking for but I have seen cables with junction boxes at intervals that have two gang outlets in them.

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

Maybe not what your looking for but I have seen cables with junction boxes at intervals that have two gang outlets in them.

You have to make sure they're plastic or rubberized though. Metal boxes won't meet code. Last I looked those boxes cost over $50 each.

Really don't want to use "j" boxes. I set up a large boxing ring at different venues and the placement of movers are all the same. Was thinking instead of 2fers and 3fers to just splice in a outlet where needed. Someone should make one with "side" strain reliefs parallel to conductors?

Depending on how "custom" you need the Edison outlets to be, you could tie back some of the multi-outlet Edison cable to shorten the spacing between outlets. That seems easiest. Depending on the number of circuits you end up with on the pipe, you could also do a six-circuit multicable with a staggered breakout, though that seems overkill for your application.

Some people use a piece of socapex with a breakout at the end. The different circuits can be made to custom length, or you can buy stock items that has outlets at 2' intervals +/- for probably a little cheaper.

What I am trying to do is add female outlets (120 volt) along a 12/3 sjoow wire. The wire runs along a long section of truss and would like to custom place the ac plugs. I know that you can buy a multi-tap molded cord but, the outlets are not where I would like them. What I looking for is something that would support 2 - 12/3 wires (in/out). Just wondering how the big guys do it...Thanks for any help

proxy.php

Why don't you draw out what you need, send it to a Lex dealer (Production Advantage as example), have them price custom thru Lex.

It can either be a variation of a Lex E-String, or something you desire.

You can make up your own using the Woodhead/Molex molded boxes with pass-thru, that allows add'l boxes down stream. Not sure how many receptacles you need at each point though. If making your own, you'd want SOOW cable, 14/3 with 15 amp L5-15 plugs and receptacles as example.

http://www.lexproducts.com/products...ceptacle-extensions/20-amp-e-string-orchestra

Woodhead makes these in black with pass-thru strain relief. They run about $45 ea. without receptacles.

http://www.molex.com/woodhead/produ..._DISTRIBUTION.xml&channel=Products&Lang=en-US

I just made up 6 dual duplex receptacle boxes, 15 amp, 6 ft. cord with male edision plug, 6" pigtail with female edison connector, black boxes. This is an example of the box.

Attachments

• Woodhead.JPG
    Woodhead.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 226
I've built almost exactly what you're describing, a length of cable with short tails spliced in where you need them. One very impiortant note on your choice of cable. SJOOW does not meet code requirements for use on a stage. You need to use SOOW or other Listed Extra-Hard Usage cable per NEC 520.68(A)(1).

NEC 520.68(A)(1): General. Flexible conductors, including cable extensions, used to supply portable stage equipment shall be listed extra-hard usage cords or cables.

SJOOW is not listed extra hard usage cable.

What you need for this is a Heat Shrink Breakout Boot at every splice. These provide a jacket to protect your splice and because the breakout boots have heat activated adhesive to lock them in place, you also have a built in strain relief. I get them from McMaster-Carr. Just make sure you have a good, solid splice under the Breakout Boot.

For 12/3 SOOW you need item number 73575K62.

McMaster-Carr

Last edited:
I'm curious about what you're hanging on the truss that fits within a single circuit load. If you're in need of multiple curcuits just prebuild a taped together snake of edison and rewire the offstage side to meet up at a consistent length.

I've built almost exactly what you're describing, a length of cable with short tails spliced in where you need them. One very impiortant note on your choice of cable. SJOOW does not meet code requirements for use on a stage. You need to use SOOW or other Listed Extra-Hard Usage cable per NEC 520.68(A)(1).

NEC 520.68(A)(1): General. Flexible conductors, including cable extensions, used to supply portable stage equipment shall be listed extra-hard usage cords or cables.

SJOOW is not listed extra hard usage cable.

What you need for this is a Heat Shrink Breakout Boot at every splice. These provide a jacket to protect your splice and because the breakout boots have heat activated adhesive to lock them in place, you also have a built in strain relief. I get them from McMaster-Carr. Just make sure you have a good, solid splice under the Breakout Boot.

For 12/3 SOOW you need item number 73575K62.

McMaster-Carr

Is this an in-line splice on rubber cable ?.

I would think that this is a bad idea as the opening of a SOOW cable to allow the splice and then using heat shrink cable, defeats the UL listing of usage for the cable. As well, how are you making the splice ?.

Curious

Another idea: use shorter cables and twistlock commcectors. Make a twofer with with a male and two female commectors, then just connect each shorter lenght with the twofer in the spots you need it. The twistlock will keep it from coming apart

Call Lex/Whirlwind/TMB/Motion Labs/Creative Stage Lighting. They will be able to build it exactly how you want and you won't risk getting to a get and being told by an AHJ that you can't use it.

proxy.php

To answer directly, I don't believe there is a connector that allows you to end up with multiple receptacles along a single cable that complies with the NEC. Good alternatives mentioned above (though I really don't like the box thing.)

Another idea: use shorter cables and twistlock commcectors. Make a twofer with with a male and two female commectors, then just connect each shorter lenght with the twofer in the spots you need it. The twistlock will keep it from coming apart

Besides the difficulty of jamming 2 pieces of SOOW cable into a twist male plug designed for only one such cable, it also voids the UL rating of the connector.

This is the reason you are no longer seeing new manufactured two-fers with a male 2P&G connector feeding 2 females (usually - there's a Lex 100 amp 2P&G two-fer that uses the male connector, go figure)

To answer directly, I don't believe there is a connector that allows you to end up with multiple receptacles along a single cable that complies with the NEC. Good alternatives mentioned above (though I really don't like the box thing.)

Bill, agree with the box thing, it's a bulky item at times and I wouldn't want to build a long stringer this way. I used to build these using a metal handy box with a single duplex. It was more compact, but is no longer code compliant.

I do wish they made a rubber single duplex receptacle box that was less bulky. Or a single edison receptacle box along the lines of what Lex does with their E-Strings, only in a user assembled and custom designed item. It would solve the OP's problem nicely.

FWIW, when I assembled the Woodhead/Molex boxes, the total parts came to about $75 per box (box, 2 receptacles, 1- male edison, 1 - female edison, 7 ft of 14/3 SOOW), not including about 1/2 hr. assembly labor. I priced them as well from Lex and was surprised to find the cost for factory assembled the same as what it cost me in parts.

Mox cables might be the ticket. They come in different lengths, gauges and outlet spacing.

proxy.php

The website has zero info. on if they build these with SOOW or not. Possibly not as they have a number of other items on the site that use SJ in various sizes. Seemingly a good company otherwise, just wonder who they market to with SJ products.

Thanks for all the replys....Its for a fairly large boxing ring (40'x40') and did not want to mess with multi 2fers/3fers for the led movers. Will call LEX on price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back