Accu Spot vs. DJ Spot

PadawanGeek

I am trying to decide between the American DJ AccuSpot 250 II and the American DJ DJ Spot 250. Does anyone have any suggestions? I like the gobos on the DJ Spot, and it has a better rotation and price, but it has a halogen lamp instead of a discharge lamp (the Accu Spot has a discharge lamp). What do you think?

My application is my elementary school, we have a medium sized stage, and the lights will be used in the talent show to light up the host and have rotating gobos in the background.

Also, what would your recomendation for a q-spot moving yoke be?

I have no idea what a trim height is

It will be working against 8 x ERS, 4 x PAR 56, 10 x FLS.

Trim height is the height from the floor to the level of your electrics/battens that the lights are hung from.

A 250W discharge lamp should shine through that, especially if you have haze in the air, but a 250W halogen most likely won't cut it.

I'd personally recommend the Accu Spot 250/2 out of your two picks, but I'd reccomend the Elation Focus Spot 250R if you can afford it. It's a great little fixture, and while it does not have as many features as the AMDJ models, it is higher quality, and has a nice, punchy output, variable focus by DMX, and rotating steel & glass gobos. I think that Centerstage was selling some out-of-box units a while back for $700 or so, you might want to call a Centerstage rep and ask them.

Do not underestimate the output difference between discharge bulbs and halogen lamps! For example, we did a job with two Satellite follow spots. (575w HMI) There were two older Altman 2000 watt halogen based follow spots at the venue. While setting up, we compared the 2000 watt spots to our 575 watt Sats, with hope of using them on the fly as well. The result was that we could barely see the Alt spots when the Sats were running. The accu spot 250's use a 250 watt discharge bulb that is a smaller version of the 575 HMI, and have. I just picked up a pair of Chauvet Q-Spot 250's, which use the same bulb and am very pleased with them. As a bonus, the HMI lamps last a lot longer.

Thank you all for your help. I don't think my school is going to get moving lights after all, but when the lime comes that my church wants moving lights, I think I'll go with the Chauvet Q-spot 250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back