ACL Bar Issues

aeh20s

Hello all,
I'm working a show that has three basic PAR64 ACL Bars in the show. We opened on Nov. 1 and since then I have had to replace the lamps in each of the bars twice now. There hasn't been any obvious problems with the bars aside from yesterday when the lamps I was replacing smelled vaguely of fire and had scorching inside the lamps. I immediately took that specific bar down and replaced it with a spare. I even changed the circuit for that bar just to be safe. I guess my question is if anyone has experienced this type of failure with their ACL bars in the past. Not so much the scorching but having to replace lamps with the type of frequency that I'm experiencing. To say again, I've replaced the lamps in all three bars twice since Nov. 1. I feel like there might be something wrong with the power going to them, but I don't really know how to check that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Andy

Are you using 4552 (250W) or 4559 (600W) lamps? Both have only a 25 hour life rating, so if they're used constantly or bumped from 0 to FL a lot, a month is not a bad yield. When one lamp goes, do you replace the other three at the same time?

I feel like there might be something wrong with the power going to them, but I don't really know how to check that.
Put a two-fer ahead of the lampbar, and measure the voltage on the unused female. Any voltage greater than (28*4) =112V will significantly reduce your already short life.

Are you using 4552 (250W) or 4559 (600W) lamps? Both have only a 25 hour life rating, so if they're used constantly or bumped from 0 to FL a lot, a month is not a bad yield. When one lamp goes, do you replace the other three at the same time?

Put a two-fer ahead of the lampbar, and measure the voltage on the unused female. Any voltage greater than (28*4) =112V will significantly reduce your already short life.

I'm using the 250 watt lamps. And it's not one lamp going it's the entire bar at once.

I know this is pedantic but they are wired in series not parallel right?

I know this is pedantic but they are wired in series not parallel right?

They claim to have been made by Creative Stage Lighting so I think so. I can't easily take them apart to confirm though. But I think it's safe to assume.

They claim to have been made by Creative Stage Lighting so I think so. I can't easily take them apart to confirm though. But I think it's safe to assume.

Ya, Creative can wire an ACL bar... I would check your power. I bet you are a few volts hot and that is doing it. If you have the cable putting an extra 100' on each bar wouldn't be a bad idea.

I also wonder if they are name brand lamps or the generic lamps from "CheaperIsUs".

In my experience, when you lose one lamp in an ACL bar, you've got a better than even chance of losing all of them. Try the suggestions above. Have you checked your plugs and cables going to that fixture? Unlikely, but could be a bad connector. Also possible you just got a bad batch of lamps at some point.

We as an industry are *extremely* hard on ACL lamps. They just aren't made for what we use them for.

I agree in going to what I was told for DHL lamp bars - replace them all, the lamps for an instant while failing and going supernova - no resistance in current for a micro second, will send all the current to the other lamps in now say in this case 1/4 more voltage to it and all next. How long can a 120v high output lamp say a HPL survive with its more robust filament than the low voltage lamp in magnitude last given say a 150 Volts in a spike in comparison to voltage spike? Yes it will probably survive the voltage spike, but it will certainly shorten the lamp life.

On a dual ended moving light lamp, a perfectly good lamp installed into a bad lamp socket will last about 100 hours less each time installed until it fails to strike. I have seen and tracked this by way of idiot tech people installing perfectly good lamps into bad bases. Bad ignitors in a older fixture however is harder to figure out lamp hours for and identify - but mostly can. If you look at the tip of the electrode, look for blobbing instead of bubbles and a normal structucture to the tip of the electrode. Blackening of the electrode is also an indidication as with a lack of bubbles about the e lectrode but also not always. A lot of lamps inspecteceted and on a normal moving light lamp, I can guess to within 100 hours of how many hours it has been in use. This even if with a defective ballast.

That's on a moving light lamp. Never really studied a ACL PAR 64 lamp failure, but I would expect them blobbing in failed filament in like a fuse from overload in also being blobbed instead of blackened from a failure. Believe I remember that description correct and as similar to lamps.

If in series the #4596 lamp has been a very reliable product. Where I work standard is not for them as opposed to the DHL light curtain lamps/gear (probably in dumpster fill by now with only a few saved at best), you do still replace just the 28v/250v individual lamp per policy. 28v x 4 at 112v is still less than even a 118v normal expected voltage to fixture at the plug more at least 1/4 more voltage for an instant of time. A spike of voltage is still a spike of voltage especially if to a not pre-warmed filament.

(Might be another question to ask in if your dimmers are pre-warming the dimmer circuits so as not to shock the filaments.)

Overall I agree in replacing all lamps but policy where I work is one for one direct replacement only - and it has not proven to be a problem sufficient to change that policy with further lamps on the bar reflecting a problem with one wired in series of this type of lamp still in use.

This granted I have people every 100 hours and at times with more serieous problems and throwing into them at least 4x the price in lamps into bad bases or ignitors, week to week having to fix the same fixture and not guessing there was other than a plainly bad lamp problem caused by What? Good you are questioning the ACL bar, you probably can save future companies in asking about why any lamp you change failed and further concepts of that.

Just wizzles my mind in how tech people at times service the same fixture time after time and do not get tired of replacing the lamp in it - this same fixture, but don't have any wonder about why its failing so as to perhaps figure out whats' wrong with it or at least replace the fixture in not further wasting time on it. Suppose I'm just not of the same ilk of tech person in wanting more work and normally also not resetting the lamp counter. On later upgraded fixtures, them that forgot to reset the lamp counter might attribute a perfectly good lamp in change to "hours"... I have you on a data base in having changed say last week this lamp, how can it acquire more hours in a week than "over hours" the next lamp changed in tracked is you report? But I digress.

The ACL's are not used as much, and I'm sure they had the same problems above in why they should, but overall not as much a problem in just changing one lamp in series. Perhaps put a used or new lamp into the second fixture might be a considered option at least for debate. But the math is that all will soon be going.

Last edited:
In the UK we run these things in a series of 8 and I have always trimmed the dimmer or cue down so that they only ever receive 90% of full.
That alone will double the lifespan of the lamps and prevent a lot of dead ones.

Reactions: Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back