Control/Dimming ACN/RDM

Not exactly right... The least complex version of ACN is free to license, and the source code is available. But the higher two versions of the protocol require a license fee.

I thought they had given up on that. I remember hearing about a screaming match at a meeting a year or so ago. But I grumble about paying a bloated fee for a copy of a standard, so you can imagine how I would feel about a protocol license fee... ;)

-jjf

An old saying from arpanet days... The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from!

PLSN is running a series of articles about ACN starting in the most recent issue...I'm curious to see what all they have to say about it.

Maybe we can get Steve the "old newbie" to give us an update on ACN. If I read his intro correct it sounds like he's actually on the ESTA committee that is working on ACN.

Last edited:
A couple of points:

ACN is an ANSI Standard, completely in the public domain. There are no license fees to implement it.

Just a couple of months ago, Shure adopted ACN as their standard audio command & control protocol. That's Shure , as in, the largest manufacturer of wireless microphones in the world. They looked at all the available protocols and chose ACN--and they were not involved in its development at all.

ETC has standardized on ACN for the Eos and Ion platforms, and all future ETC networked products will speak ACN. Many other manufacturers are in the process of implementing ACN.

Dr. Philip Nye, a key player in the ACN Task Group, is starting up the Open ACN effort. This will place ACN implementation software in the Open Source model, which will vastly improve its accessibility to manufacturers. http://www.engarts.eclipse.co.uk/acn/openacn.html

In short: the ACN snowball is gathering momentum down the hill!

Steve Terry
Co-Chair ESTA Control Protocols Working Group.

Shure? How are they going to use ACN? Is that for the communications between wireless gear?

Uhm **** Steve that was three things I didn't know...looks like I need to keep myself updated on it!

We know that they are not going to ship audio over ACN.
ST

It always amazes me what people do with protocols after they get out in the wild. HTTP was not supposed to do what it is now doing, it was an experiment for geeks, TCP/IP was never supposed to connect the world, and our own DMX was never even thought of to control moving heads. As soon as a protocol comes out that is solid technology, you will see it in things that it was never meant to do, but still works great for that purpose. I am glad to see ACN is coming along nicely, now if they could just come out with and update for the SN110 nodes to make them ACN compliant. My dream of running a simple console on my laptop and running a show over a strand network (I have strand nodes, yes i know the gear exist now, but i'm not buying new) is getting closer. Now... strand... RELEASE THE UPDATE!!!!!!.

It always amazes me what people do with protocols after they get out in the wild. HTTP was not supposed to do what it is now doing, it was an experiment for geeks, TCP/IP was never supposed to connect the world, and our own DMX was never even thought of to control moving heads. As soon as a protocol comes out that is solid technology, you will see it in things that it was never meant to do, but still works great for that purpose. I am glad to see ACN is coming along nicely, now if they could just come out with and update for the SN110 nodes to make them ACN compliant. My dream of running a simple console on my laptop and running a show over a strand network (I have strand nodes, yes i know the gear exist now, but i'm not buying new) is getting closer. Now... strand... RELEASE THE UPDATE!!!!!!.

Hate to tell you this footer but burrently only ETC is listening to the Booth.

(I have strand nodes, yes i know the gear exist now, but i'm not buying new) is getting closer. Now... strand... RELEASE THE UPDATE!!!!!!.[/QUOTE]

Of course, I cannot speak for Strand, but I think SN110 nodes may be challenged by ACN. E1.31 Streaming ACN perhaps--Full ACN, unlikely.

Perhaps you should ask them!

ST

(I have strand nodes, yes i know the gear exist now, but i'm not buying new) is getting closer. Now... strand... RELEASE THE UPDATE!!!!!!.
Of course, I cannot speak for Strand, but I think SN110 nodes may be challenged by ACN. E1.31 Streaming ACN perhaps--Full ACN, unlikely.
ST[/QUOTE]

They claim they are ACN "ready", but never defined what ready ment. Would not be the first time a piece of gear comes out that says its futerproof and is not.

ST
They claim they are ACN "ready", but never defined what ready ment. Would not be the first time a piece of gear comes out that says its futerproof and is not.[/QUOTE]

I've seen a lot of Windows Vista ready computers that didn't have a prayer of running Vista reliably... not that Vista actually is a reliable OS... but you get the point.

I just hope that when the time comes my brand new Strand C21 Dimmers and Strand Palette will be upgradable to ACN.

And by the was Steve, I wanted a Congo but I didn't have a say in the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back