Actor In Christmas Pageant Dies After 25 Foot Fall

I don't think that it's that new. From what I can tell (and from the context of the statements being made), this clip is from December 19th.

Joe

Yes it is a little old, but none of the other stories posted in this thread have included this information. All the other stories mention the rock climbing harness in passing, as if it was acceptable equipment to use in the stunt. The main question in the other articles was, "How did the rock climbing harness fail to hold her?" Anyone with a little knowledge in this area will tell you the answer to that question is, "because it's not an acceptable harness for this particular use". This story is finally going down the correct path of questioning and asking, "Why was she wearing a rock climbing harness in the first place?"

Finally, the right things are starting to happen.

I got the Stage Directions newsletter this morning, and the first thing I did was to look for an article on this incident. And I found it. They actually contacted Bill Sapsis of Sapsis Rigging to get his opinion. This is a fairly old article, written on December 22, but it seems to be the first source that really questioned how this was allowed to happen.

Aerialist Dies From Fall in Christmas Show

CINCINNATI — Student performer Keri Shryock, 23, died from injuries relating to a fall of more than 20 feet that occurred during a Christmas ceremony at a Cincinnati church Wednesday, Dec. 17. She was performing an aerial act as a Wise Man in the Crossroads Community Church’s Christmas pageant when her harness failed and she fell to the concrete floor, head first. The police have ruled that the death was accidental.
O’Dell Owens, Hamilton County Coroner, told news sources that fabric from Shryock’s gown got caught in the clasp of the harness, causing it to open when Shryock extended her arm.

The Associated Press is reporting that the church states that Shryock and the other performers had professional training and wore safety equipment, but no details were available on their training. Shryock was studying at Xavier University.

Further, the Associated Press relates that because she was performing as a volunteer, and not as a paid employee, no other government agency will investigate the reason for the fall.

“It’s totally a civil matter,” said Dick Gilgrist, a director for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

SD contacted Bill Sapsis, of Sapsis Rigging to give some advice to help other organizations avoid such a senseless tragedy.

“The first thing that people really need to understand is that amateur organizations like this have their own limitations. They don’t have the experience to put on these things completely by themselves,” said Sapsis. “If you’re going to attempt to do something like this where you’re putting people in the air, then you have to take the step to find people who do this for a living.”

Sapsis recommended people call multiple flying/rigging organizations, describe what your organization intends to do, and then ask: Is that OK? Does that make sense? Is there a better way? Calling multiple aerialist/rigging companies is “absolutely key” according to Sapsis.

“I’m thinking of a peer-review kind of situation,” said Sapsis. “They shouldn’t just go to the first aerialist rigger-guy they find in the phone book, but to two, three or four different people, provide them with the same information and see what kind of consensus these people bring out.”

You can find the article here.

Although I agree with the cost analysis, cost isn’t always the driving force. All it takes to get started is for someone to say: “Let’s do X”. And someone else saying “I’ve done something like that”. What is often missing is someone asking questions like “How can that be safe?” or “How do they do that in the professional shows?” But even with a “voice of reason”, there’s strength of personalities to consider. Or it’s just plain hubris – professionals are not consulted because of a “we can do this ourselves” attitude. I can easily imagine conversations that led to this death. But I still can’t over the number of people who would have had to have “signed off” on it or otherwise bought into it.

I have my doubts that criminal charges will be filed. I would expect that there would be too many individuals involved as defendants (conspiracy?) and then I am sure that they are all good, well-meaning Christians [at least that’s what would be sold to a jury]. The prosecutor still has to consider the chances of winning. There could be a civil suit against the church and/or individuals, but that could end quietly, maybe never reaching trial, and with an agreement such that neither side discusses the verdict. The story could easily disappear from the news in a very short period of time.

One thing I’m curious about: did anyone see this story in their local news or newspapers? The link in the original post has an Associated Press byline. Everything I read was through links on this board. Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see it in the paper here or on the news on TV (although I only watch 2 of the stations.)

Joe

Yeah I think the big question regarding charges is if someone claimed to be an expert and set this all up without really knowing what they were doing. If it was simply a matter of her and a couple other people saying, "I'm a rock climber I know how to do this." There may not be any charges.

The video link I last posted mentions that she was a rock climber and had some experience teaching some sort of ropes course. Now exactly what that means we don't know, but it certainly suggests that she may have done a lot of this on her own relying on her climbing experience.

I never saw this mentioned here in Seattle, however if you google it you'll find the story ran all over the country.

Some relatives recently attended this year's pageant at the church in question. I'm pleased to report there was no flying of performers (and apparently hasn't been since 2008).

Two things that are said too often:

before the accident: "We've never had a problem before."

after the accident: "There's a first time for everything."

And the worst part is, people keep getting injured or worse. Laws won't stop people from not using common sense and following instructions.

I don't even like the idea of flying actors. I think it upstages the acting. Keep the actors on the stage. They're less likely to get hurt or look bad if something goes wonky...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back