Microphones Actors Breathing (Advice Needed!)

Henning

Happy Friday everyone! I'm having some problems with the lead male in my production and I'm here seeking advice. Our lead male is not the most athletic guy and has a problem with heavy breathing, particularly after dance breaks. Currently I'm micing on the left side of his face using a shure ULXD4 with a Countryman B6 Micro Lavalier. and I have access to a few pop covers but I've had complaints from the theater director and vocal directer that they are to obvious. What would you suggest?

Can you mic him on the forehead with a B3?

If the band is loud, then you may have some issues -- in which case your boom mic is likely your best bet and you'll just have to mix him carefully.

Also, if you haven't EQ'ed down the mid-to-low end of the frequency spectrum on this channel input, try that to see if the breathing becomes less distracting.

I would experiment with downward expansion on his channel. I wouldn't gate it hard, but just let it decrease the gain 6-10 dB to make the breathing less noticeable. Fast attach, very slow release.

If you don't have processing, then mix him line by line and ride the fader during the times the actor is winded.

Also, do tests with and without the wind screens. My guess is the wind screen may not accomplish anything if plosives are not the problem.

I second what FMEng said, gate him if possible without gating his singing and ride the channel. It should go without saying but Mute his channel when he is not singing so you don't get his heavy breathing.
Other than that its vocal training, and cardio :p

There are a few other things you could try, but honestly, it is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back