Control/Dimming Adapter, A5M-RJ45

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
What will they think of next?

I'm not sure I approve of this device--I think it could lead to bad practice. Thoughts?

proxy.php

Adapter, DMX to Ethernet, XLR 5-Pin Male to RJ45

Also comes in A5F: Adapter, DMX to Ethernet, XLR 5-Pin Female to RJ45, and both genders of 3pin XLR.

Assuming it's a dumb device, i.e. doesn't actually convert DMX to an ethernet-based protocol, then yeah, I think this could lead to a bad practice as well. When the description says "DMX to Ethernet" that leads me to think that the device has an IP address and would allow you to distribute DMX over an ethernet network. It must be since it doesn't seem to have a power input. It really should be called and XLR5 to RJ45 adapter or XLR3 to RJ45 adapter.

When I first saw those I was fooled for a second, but then I realized that its an adapter that simply lets one use the less expensive CAT5 cable as a stand in for 3 or 5 pin terminated cables.

While not necessarily leading to bad practice, it can certainly lead to confusion.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I approve of this device--I think it could lead to bad practice. Thoughts?
Actually, I think a device like this might possibly lead to better practice. Cat-5 cable is perfectly suited to carry DMX, this provides for an easy way to use readily available cables to connect DMX devices. I'd much rather see these in use than 3-pin XLR connections and microphone cable for DMX!

-Fred

Well, every good point deserves a counterpoint!

I am told that Cat-5 works great, but I still don't like unshielded cable on an RS-485 line, so I am not a fan of this adapter. If you are using Cat-5, make sure you use a stranded version as the solid wire does not hold up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back