Control/Dimming Adding a chase to a cue

express

Hi,
So-I know this question has been asked before, but i just couldn't find an answer. Im designing a show, and need to put a chase into a cue. We are using an Express, and the chase is already recorded into a sub. Because a whole bunch of Kids are running the show, we need to put the sub into the actual cue. I know we need to write a macro, but am wondering exactly what the macro needs to include....

Thanks for the Help in Advance.......

The express should have 2 fader pairs... am I right? well if you want it to span mulitple cues, I would write the effect into a cue, fire the base cue into your primary fader, then use the second fader to fire the effect cue, you can then run the rest of your cues on your primary fader, and is will not have any effect on the effect cue. When the effect is no longer needed, just clear out the fader that is running the effect and run the rest of the show on the primary fader. If you do not have two faders, then you'll have to write a macro. If you are not sure of the key strokes PM me and I should be able to get those to you.

Hope that was clear enough!

What is the training level of the operators? You said that you'll have multiple, but if they can't handle a sub then are they going to be able to handle multiple faders? You don't need a situation where both "go's" get used indiscriminately and end up with a full brightness cue overriding a blackout on the other fader.

I am of the philosophy that a operator should only have to press one, single, button (namely the GO button) to run a show. That is why I am a big fan of macros. Whether you run a sub or a cue in the other fader pair, in my opinion, it should be triggered from a macro in the main fader pair. Personally, I like effects in submasters. This just seems cleaner to me and it allows the same effect to be used multiple times easily. The only time I ever use the second fader pair on an Express(ion) is when I want a subroutine to run while I am running other cues. And, again, in this case, I trigger it through a macro so the operator is only ever hitting the one GO button. Everything is just less likely to get messed up.

*This is all based on running a scripted, usually theatrical, production. If there is no script and the production is random or busked, then obviously the one button approach is not so valid.

My $.02
-Tim

For simplicity's sake, I would write the effect directly into the cue, and not fool with a macro calling a submaster.

Every show I do I put all effects on subs and trigger that effect from a bump macro. Editing an effect in a cue is one of the most painful processes on the express. Even more so, editing other lights that are on in the cue that the effect is also running in is extremely painful. Tracking the effect is painful. All around, effects in cues on the express is just a world of hurt. Even on emphasis where they have balyhoos and all that fun stuff programmed in for moving lights, I still put all movement effects on subs and fire those with macros. It does seem like a bit of over engineering, but it is the way to go.

To the OP, to do what you need to do...
  1. Hit learn
  2. type the macro number you want the effect to be
  3. hit the bump button the effect is stored on
  4. hit enter macro
  5. go to the cue you want the effect to start in
  6. hit link
  7. hit enter macro
  8. type the macro number that fired the sub
  9. hit enter
  10. go to the cue you want to effect to stop on
  11. repeat the same process that you used to start the effect

That is going off memory, I might have missed a wait time here or there, but that is the process.

Every show I do I put all effects on subs and trigger that effect from a bump macro. Editing an effect in a cue is one of the most painful processes on the express. Even more so, editing other lights that are on in the cue that the effect is also running in is extremely painful. Tracking the effect is painful. All around, effects in cues on the express is just a world of hurt. Even on emphasis where they have balyhoos and all that fun stuff programmed in for moving lights, I still put all movement effects on subs and fire those with macros. It does seem like a bit of over engineering, but it is the way to go.

To the OP, to do what you need to do...
  1. Hit learn
  2. type the macro number you want the effect to be
  3. hit the bump button the effect is stored on
  4. hit enter macro
  5. go to the cue you want the effect to start in
  6. hit link
  7. hit enter macro
  8. type the macro number that fired the sub
  9. hit enter
  10. go to the cue you want to effect to stop on
  11. repeat the same process that you used to start the effect

That is going off memory, I might have missed a wait time here or there, but that is the process.
Personally, I like to use the "OnBump" and "OffBump" commands that are only available in the Macro Editing display. These are merely on and off specific bumps so that you cannot trigger a sub on when you meant to turn it off, or vice-a-versa.

-Tim

I once again understand the desire to route everything through the cue stack and therefore a single button. In a case like this where it overlaps other cues or even stays the whole scene I personally would leave it on the sub and just run it manually. Again I long predate memory boards and have used many two scene preset boards, so an extra dimmer is no big deal. It does mean you have to clearly mark your cue sheet so you know what is expected. This is by no means a slam on the younger guys that have always run shows through cue stacks, just another solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back