Adding a computer as a device for playing back feature length films.

DC11

Good afternoon, all!!

We have recently purchased and set up all of the "ingredients" for screening films on a 23'x12' screen with 5.1 surround. We've played quite a few DVD's and Blu-Rays as tests and they all play back wonderfully!

We recently realized that a lot of the materials brought to us for showing films won't be on a DVD/Blu-Ray, so we're figuring out how to get from the our tech computer to our surround speakers. This is where we're running in to trouble. I know (think, rather) that any USB interface with 6 outputs will technically work, but will a Mac's "Audio/Midi Setup" read that as outputs for surround, or do I need to look for an interface thats designed for 5.1.

I can kind of fake it by having the front and rear left/right coupled, then running the center channel though an aux, but I'd really like to be able to achieve as close to true 5.1 as I can.

I appreciate any help thrown my way!

We would always take HDMI out of a mac and feed it into an audio de-embedder. HDMI carries any audio that's present on the disc or digital file that's playing back in VLC.
Worked well for HDCP files too because this box shows up as the display device and then you can run your otherwise copy protected video through a switcher or whatever.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...yMDt3QIVjJyzCh0txwFuEAQYBCABEgIHdvD_BwE&smp=y

So HDMI in, lots of 1/8 to XLR or RCA outs and HDMI through to projector.

This is amazing!! Thank you so much. I've been searching all over and haven't been able to find much of anything that would work.

Couple of questions though:

Our speakers are powered (they're part of our standard show configuration) so how do I get to each of the 5 speakers and the sub from this? Will I need something with optical? Most of the AV receivers I found are with power amps and we're not able to use that with our powered speakers.

My audio guys had a MOTU 828 mk2 laying around (as they had upgraded), which allowed me to do a video with 5.1 out via Firewire on a Mac Mini. I don't think that this is what it was intended to do, but it definitely worked.

That Atloana box has analog 1/8" jacks on it. So you can run straight analog audio directly to your sound system.
Although using a mixer might be annoying, it's probably a good idea to have level control of some sort between your source and speakers. Otherwise you can't cue up a video without it being heard or use your speakers for any use other than the hard patched computer.
I would just have the 6 channels feed into a console with atleast 6 post fade aux outputs that feed to your speakers. Then you can adjust the aux masters to compensate for the different size main vs surround cabinets etc.

There's probably different versions of HDCP, but the type I'm referring to is that created by laptops HDMI video output that interferes with video switchers and scalers ability to futz with the image.
Not sure what would happen if you put this box inline with a BlueRay player, for example.

If a device states that it is HDMI compliant, then no it will not strip HDCP. Most of the major manufacturers will be in compliance. If you are playing a video with HDCP, I doubt that would work unless everything in line is compliant (some switchers are compliant).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back