The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Adding video cards to a Strand 520

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by icewolf08, Feb 13, 2009.

1. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    Hey, I am feeling lazy (and I am in the middle of a show) so I ask, does anyone know if you can put any old video card into a Strand 520 so as to be able to use more than 2 displays? Is it PCI, AGP, or some proprietary slot? At some point I may just open up the desk and look, but I can't do that until tomorrow at the earliest, so if anyone knows that would be cool.

2. thommyboy

thommyboy Active Member

I know on the 300 the only option was getting one from strand. The case was smaller than even a micro ATX sized card. I am not sure about the 520 but I would be REALLY surprised if it were much different

3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

I want to say there is a free PCI slot in there, but I can not remember, I have not been inside a 520 for awhile. However, I don't think the software will support more then two screens.

4. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

The manual and the software say that you can have up to 4 displays. The manual makes one mention that I saw to a Dual VGA card, but no real specifics.

5. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Cool, let me know if you get that up. Don't know if I could take in 4 displays, but if you can do it.. why not. LCD's are cheap now, could be worth it.

Odds are it would have to be a specific chip set, because I have a feeling the software will only interact with a specific driver.

6. Darthrob13

Darthrob13 Active Member

4 monitors is certainly do-able.

Need the Strand card though.

7. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

If that is true, it is kind of a royal suck on account of the card from Strand has to be about 10x more expensive than an off the shelf card.

I still haven't poked around inside my console yet, the skiing was too good to pass up today.

8. Darthrob13

Darthrob13 Active Member

True, but how many Pentium II computers with proprietary add-on's are people trying to put "off the shelf" video cards into these days?

9. adude23

adude23 Active Member

I've got three screens on my console and have the option for another as far as i know it hasn't been altered from the day it got dropped off my Mr Strand