Adding wheels to a road case/if cases could talk.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
At the end of this week I will be loading up a truck to take a show to the National Black Theatre Fest. As such, I decided it was time to add wheels to the old road case that's been living under our stage in order to make a more portable work box out of it. The only problem is, I've never really taken the time to look at how wheels are normally attached to a case. It seems that most have an extra layer of plywood on the bottom. I assume this is to reinforce what is otherwise thin material? What hardware is standard for wheel attachment? Short carriage bolts and nuts?

Also, if this case could talk! When I first opened it up, I discovered two forgotten Kodak Ektachrome slide projectors in it! The case is also a now faded purple, with remnants of air freight stickers, and 'GENESIS' stenciled in white on each side. (The case is upside down in the pic)
case.JPG

Genesis from AVL was the top of the line slide projector control system about 1989. IIRC, it was a Compaq? portable PC, the kind where the keyboard also served as a lid. The Genesis connected to any number of Doves, which then controlled Ektagraphics in multiples of three.
9689-adding-wheels-road-case-if-cases-could-talk-last_multi_image_show.jpg

-----

Bolt the casters to a piece of 3/4" ply the same size as the bottom using machine bolts and tee nuts. Bolt the plywood through the bottom of the roadcase using carriage bolts.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• compaqI.JPG
    compaqI.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 303
  • last_multi_image_show.jpg
    last_multi_image_show.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 479
Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer a single dolly plate on the bottom. Especially with bigger cases.

Also, a good quality paint before attaching the casters is recommended.

Save a dollar on the casters today, regret it every time it gets moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
And of course today I also found a Dove unit under the stage. I worked at an AV company in college that still had one of those red desk lamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back