Automated Fixtures Address Chauvet Rogue Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. This is not a how to program the Chauvet Rogue question. This is a how to deal with universe two on your console/dmx network question. Let's say you want the rogue's set for Channel 1-12 in Universe two. You set them as 1-12 on the back. But your console is going to see them as on 512+1-12 or 513-524. Depending on how your system is set up, somewhere down the DMX path, there are splitters and nodes that say, universe one's 512 channels of data go to this part of the theater. Universe two's data goes to that part of the theater. Once you get to the universe two part of the network, it only sees 1-512 addresses... not 513-524. So a fixture set for channel 100 in universe three will say 100 on the back but the board will think of it as 512+512+100=1124.

The real trick in all this is knowing what part of your theater gets information from which universe. In my theater, the dimmers are the only thing on universe one. The DMX ports around the theater are all universe two. But my nodes could actually be reconfigured in the future so that the house catwalks are each their own universe and each electric gets it's own universe as well.

Also to add on to what was already said, with the ION, you can be lazy when patching. In the example of address 1 in the second universe, you can add 512 to the 1 for 513 when patching it, or you can also type in 2/1. The console will know what you mean so you don't have to do the math. The 2 is for universe two, and the 1 is whatever you set the address to on the light, in this example it was 1.

I think that most of the newer consoles have some sort of a patching special short cut or syntax as @bdkdesigns just described for the Ion. You will need to do some searching for what works with your console, or tell us what you have and we can try to help you figure it out.

Basically, ETC does things WRONG. DMX addresses do not, and will never, go above 512. It is mathematically impossible. ETC is still stuck in an old way of thinking that the only thing anyone has are dimmers, and that the dimmer number and dmx address will be the same thing. They use what is sometimes referred to as "absolute" address, meaning that what they call address 513, is actually, 1, but in the second universe, 1,025 is actually 1, but in the 3rd universe, and so on.

I don't know why they still do it that way because it's quite dumb. To Me is says that ETC thinks its customers are too stupid to understand how things work, and they would rather display it in a way that looks simpler, even though mathematically incorrect. Just like the how government assumes truck drivers are too stupid to understand fractions, so DOT tire tread is required to be at least 2/32" and 4/32".

It's not just ETC, Strand does it too.

Basically, ETC does things WRONG. DMX addresses do not, and will never, go above 512. It is mathematically impossible. ETC is still stuck in an old way of thinking that the only thing anyone has are dimmers, and that the dimmer number and dmx address will be the same thing. They use what is sometimes referred to as "absolute" address, meaning that what they call address 513, is actually, 1, but in the second universe, 1,025 is actually 1, but in the 3rd universe, and so on.

I don't know why they still do it that way because it's quite dumb. To Me is says that ETC thinks its customers are too stupid to understand how things work, and they would rather display it in a way that looks simpler, even though mathematically incorrect. Just like the how government assumes truck drivers are too stupid to understand fractions, so DOT tire tread is required to be at least 2/32" and 4/32".

Have you ever considered that possibly THEY might be right?
While we're chatting, did you notice that, even in this age of metrication, the world standard for tire rim diameter is still specified in Imperial inches?

Then what is the right way? Cause it makes perfect sense to me.

How else would they do it?

DMX does not go up to 513. The right way to say 513 is 2.1, or B.1, or universe two dmx slot 1.

Just like the right way to write 4/32 is 1/8.

Last edited:
Have you ever considered that possibly THEY might be right?
While we're chatting, did you notice that, even in this age of metrication, the world standard for tire rim diameter is still specified in Imperial inches?

Tires are a whole other kind of stupid. 235/75/R15, means a 235 mm tread width, a side wall height that is 75% of the tread width, Radial, 15" wheel diameter. Any truck tire over about 30" actually just uses inches, like 33"x10.5" R15". There is really nothing "wrong" with an odd combination of units, but it may not be the best or most useful choice.

What make more sense?
-"That Viper needs to be set to address to 7,681"
-"That Viper needs to be set to address 1, universe 16"

I just patched something today at 99.1 That is a much more useful expression then 50,177.

Several posts have been temporarily or possibly permanently removed while the staff discusses what to do with them. Please remember that this is a professional forum. You are welcome to disagree. You are welcome to complain about products. You are even welcome to say you don't like products from our advertisers. We will not censor the content of your posts as long as they are written in a respectful professional manner. However, we have community standards. This is not Reddit. This is an educational forum for professionals and people wanting to be a professional. If you don't like a product explain why like a professional.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back