flamingo

Hello folks!

Planning out a lightning bug effect for an upcoming musical. I know we could probably build a "star drop" thing and throw it on an effect but I'm trying to reduce build time on this piece.

I've seen plenty of string light star drops. I figured I could adapt that idea and hang some addressable christmas lights (which i have seen before), plop a random effect on it and call it done. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything online. Also, using only 1 address per diode/lamp would also help because I'd prefer not to use multiple universes for this.

The closest thing I found was a brand called Twinkly with 3 channel tuneable white strings. With their focus on the app, I'm not even sure I could make them work with one of our in-house drivers so that we can have light board control.

So.... has anyone seen any *addressable* white string lights out there?
Or should I just give up. buy a couple hundred grain of wheat lights, and schedule a week of laying out 30+ feet of tiny wires and tiny lamps in very specific locations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Google “pixel LED string”. There are dozens (hundreds?) of vendors of varying quality who make strips, strings, and mesh arrays. There are also many vendors of DMX or SACn driver devices. I use the DMXking LEDMX4 (wired) or ESPixelstick (wireless) but there are many other choices.

Google “pixel LED string”. There are dozens (hundreds?) of vendors of varying quality who make strips, strings, and mesh arrays. There are also many vendors of DMX or SACn driver devices. I use the DMXking LEDMX4 (wired) or ESPixelstick (wireless) but there are many other choices.
I'm specifically looking for something with a black or dark-colored wire between nodes that can disappear into the background.
It needs to hang in front of a scenic element, so we can't use regular tape-style.

We have DMX control via Eos lighting console. I'm not worried about control; rather finding something that is addressable to fit our aesthetic needs.

If you want something finer, look at the new WS2811 "seed" nodes. They can be got with pixel spacings from 5cm (2") to 30cm (12") and with clear, green or black wires. They are still RGB of course, with no specific WW element..

yeah the RGB is fine, but I think since we're mimicking fireflies, we'll need a warm white.

Real firefly light is a sort of greenish yellow color... you could probably get something pretty close even with the crappiest of RGB mixes. There are pixel tapes that include white plus RGB, but I don't recall seeing any that are just white.

There are W+WW WS2811 strips on AliExpress, but no string types that I could see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back