Adjacent: IA threatening to strike AMPTP over meal breaks, turnarounds

Jay Ashworth

And, if I understand it, correctly, the New Media breaks that were granted back when it was, y'know, *new*.

For more on that, see this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and for details on the labor action:

It's been a long time brewing. The assorted networks and various producers have wanted to slip by and ignore the revenue they take in from streaming. It's now coming to a head that the many unions want a piece of the pie. It's really all about how much.

I think it really is about quality of life. Turnaround times, meal penalties, extremely long days, I’m going to abuse you till the sun comes up saturdays. These are all things that need to change to allow members to have a better life and in turn making productions safer and more efficient. The “piece of the pie” we want is all about a livable wage, and contributions to our healthcare and pensions. There are other issues along with that. The negotiations aren’t just about meal penalties and turnaround. I for one fully support a strike. Now is the time to make real positive change for the future.

If IATSE members vote to authorize a strike, how can non-members support them? Will they call for a boycott, is there a strike fund to donate to, etc.?
Great question. If we are forced to strike there have been talks about people canceling all their streaming services and letting the companies know why they are canceling. Some locals may have a strike find you can donate to. I think a huge way to show support is to just tell people that aren’t in the industry about it. What we are wanting and what the producers aren’t willing to give. Also, if you are around a local that does strike, walking the picket line with them is a great way to show you are on their side. Depending on the situation perhaps a coffee order at 2am is a great idea.

Attachments

• C3D1607E-81F3-4EE0-A8DF-200766354432.jpeg
    C3D1607E-81F3-4EE0-A8DF-200766354432.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 5
And, if I understand it, correctly, the New Media breaks that were granted back when it was, y'know, *new*.

For more on that, see this:

and for details on the labor action:

Had to watch this clip again. Brilliant!

It's a good point, Van. So good that Clinton Labor Secretary Robert Reich postulates on his Facebook page today whether it's really the beginning of a General Strike: USAdian workers are as mad as hell (at getting screwed in every direction) and we're just not gonna take it anymore.

It's a good point, Van. So good that Clinton Labor Secretary Robert Reich postulates on his Facebook page today whether it's really the beginning of a General Strike: USAdian workers are as mad as hell (at getting screwed in every direction) and we're just not gonna take it anymore.
Both Dee Snider AND the Beastie Boys are apropos for the current paradigm.

No kiddin'.

Here's Reich in the Guardian -- because he's one of those 3 dozen or so people who, when he decides to write an op-ed, he has no problems getting it cleared in a major outlet. (For me, that's a marker for "has something useful to say, and knows how to say it".)

Some of the studios are really going the extra mile to look bad leading up to the strike date:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back