Advice for rental mic selection

Thanks for the mic selection advice! The festival went great. We had everything from a Funk band to a Ukulele duo. I've never heard a kazoo solo in a Ska band before. I was surprised at how many bands wanted to use an XLR out of their Bass amp instead of putting a mic on it. Over and over I offered the Beta52 and only 2 out of 9 bands took it. Weird.

Thanks for the mic selection advice! The festival went great. We had everything from a Funk band to a Ukulele duo. I've never heard a kazoo solo in a Ska band before. I was surprised at how many bands wanted to use an XLR out of their Bass amp instead of putting a mic on it. Over and over I offered the Beta52 and only 2 out of 9 bands took it. Weird.

Some people are picky, some aren't. Some are probably happy they have reinforcement at all. I have one guitar player (guitar and bass) who has completely covered his line outs on all of his amps, and another who only wants to use the line out. Glad everything went well for you.

It is common to patch up both, line for monitors, mic for FOH. Also, bass cabs don't add as much flavor to the the sound as a guitar amp. Sure, an Eden or SVT cab sound great... but odds are most of the people that came in had Hartke 4x10s that sound pretty thin.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I guess I'm a little late in responding, but for future reference I'll pretend that the gig hasn't happened yet. Here's my 16 (ish) channel input list with go to mics:

1. Kick (e902 or Beta 52)
2. Snare (e905)
3. OH (KM184)
4. Bass DI (Radial JDI)
5. Bass Mic (421 or sm57)
6. Guitar SR (e906)
7. Guitar SL (e906)
8. Acoustic (Radial Pro 48)
9. Sax (421)
10. Trumpet (Audix I5 or e906)
11. Trombone (421, I5, or Beta 57)
12-15. Vox (e835)
16. Drum Vox (Audix OM5)

If there are more channels I'll do a snare bottom (e604), mic the toms (e604's), high hat (km184), the overhead turns into a ride mic... As far as overhead placement for a 3 mic drum setup, typically I'll put the stand behind the drummer, extend the stand all the way up, put a sandbag on it, and aim the mic straight down between the second rack tom and floor tom.

I was also going to offer lending you these microphones, but again, too late. If you have anything else similar coming up let me know. I'm always happy to help out a fellow (and trustworthy) CB'er. If I'm not using them there's no reason you should have to drop a couple hundred bucks on a microphone rental.

Hi guys, I'm back to planning for this fundraiser concert at my kids' school again. This year I've got a blues band with a Harmonica Amp. Can I just put a 57 in front of it and call it good or do I need something special?

A 57 on a harmonica amp would work well. That is pretty standard. It is all about their technique and how they work the mic on the input end.

~Dave

Okay another quick one. I'll have a set of Beta 52's for kick drums and for bass guitar amps. I've got one act bringing a Djembe. What do you think about using an 57 on top and a Beta 52 on the bottom?

Not as well as the $5000 Harmonicanizer2000. Endorsed by Bob Dillon. The times they are a changin'.

Note to self, never ask an electrician for audio advice.

Okay another quick one. I'll have a set of Beta 52's for kick drums and for bass guitar amps. I've got one act bringing a Djembe. What do you think about using an 57 on top and a Beta 52 on the bottom?

Note to self, never ask an electrician for audio advice.

57 or 421 on the top and you will be set. Don't worry about the bottom.

Ya, I agree. No need to worry about the bottom end. And, a 57 would work well here too.

~Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back