Advice on building 6-ft suspended platform

PropDad

I have to build a 32" x 72" platform for dancers (ages 8-16). It will be supported on both ends (knee walls with corner brace or compression legs with corner braces).

I'm thinking stressed skin since I have ample time for construction and can build it to tight tolerances. Does anyone have a good sense of what materials/dimensions to support 150 psf or more?

New to the forum, new to prop building!

You might also do a search here for triscuits. A couple of questions, how high and does it have to be quickly moved into place then quickly removed? Oh and how many dancers at once, you know that number will increase when you get it into place.

You might also do a search here for triscuits. A couple of questions, how high and does it have to be quickly moved into place then quickly removed? Oh and how many dancers at once, you know that number will increase when you get it into place.
It'll be about 30" off the ground. We generally have 2 minutes max to set up and tear down between routines. This platform will be part of a bridge consisting of two (already-built) rams and a styrofoam facade to make it look like a stone bridge.

Based on the platforms I've already built, I'm thinking it should max out at 3 120-lb dancers. 150 psf was a number I got from some random website.

What is your budget for this platform? How many people are available to set up/tear down during this 2 minute turnaround?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

What is your budget for this platform? How many people are available to set up/tear down during this 2 minute turnaround?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Budget for materials is about $200. There will probably be two people available to move it, depends on how many dance dads show up. I'm thinking about making it in three piees: platform and two leg assemblies. There would be plenty of time after unloading from the truck to assemble the pieces, then we'd have a minute or so to set it up.

After the ramps and platform are in place, I'll also need to fasten the three facade pieces. These will probably be sculpted foam board on 1/8" ply backing using magnets to hold it to the ramps and platform.

Use high tinsil Velcro. Magnets can be kicked off easily.

Use high tinsil Velcro. Magnets can be kicked off easily.
That's a good thought. I was trying to make assembly as idiot-proof as possible. Velcro may require some finessing for correct alignment. I was planning on "countersinking" the magnets so they are flush and less likely to become dislodged. I'll certainly look into the velcro option, thanks!

I'm talking about that good 3inch Velcro. Not the 1/2" stuff you get at Walmart.

However, magnets work too, but if you have a lip those kids will find a way to kick it and then you have to pray your magnets are strong enough.

You are wanting to build 1 triscuit that is 32" wide, 72" long supported on each 32" wide end to make it 30" high ?
Easy Peasy! < I can't believe that link John put up is still active.>
A. Use GOOD 2X stock. or at least decent. #2 or better Kiln dried Pine or better if you can get it stay away from Fir.
B. Run your framing long not short. < does that make sense? > your cut-list should be something like this:
2 @ 1.5"x 1.5"x 32"
6 @ 1.5"x 1.5" x 69"
2 pc.s @ 1/2" x32" x 72" B/C 7 ply

Remember to glue and screw the crap out of everything perimeter AND field!

Remember that when calculating loads for something like a platform, ESPECIALLY when it's Dancers on it, you have to take into consideration not only their weight load (static 3 x 120) but the Bouncy Load (Dynamic load (3x120)*(9.8m/sec/sec*d) and Dynamic point Load) that will be created by them jumping up and down. Down Worry, Triscuits are stupid strong as long as they are built right. Remember to screw the frame together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back